• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting Lucky...

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
... how lucky?

How about a complete 1985 IBM PC AT system with monitor, printer/plotter, and external tape storage system still in original boxes, with all documentation, manuals, system disks and sales reciepts... for free.

How lucky is that, would you say?

Just got off of the phone with someone I've never met. His grandfather, who is in the archetecture business, is moving from his home in Florida to a more northern state, yet along the way, he's going to drive 1500 miles north into Canada to visit his grandson for a family reunion. He knows his grandson is into computers, and he has this syetm which he bought, used for two days, and stored in his closet for nearly 19 years. His grandson knows that I'm into old computers, so he's going to give it to me!

I don't even know what I'm going to do with it! Storage room is an issue with me, so I doubt I could keep both my existing AT system as well as this one I'm going to recieve in two weeks, yet I don't know if I could sell it, or find a place to keep it, or what.

Grandson says it's about 4 or 5 full, large boxes alltogether, with IBM logos and such. One box is a shoebox with all the reciepts and smaller manuals/documentation. Another box contains the manuals and system disks.

Anyone ever get lucky like this before?

*bounces around excitedly!*

It has nothing to do with luck, more like networking in your case. The more people that know your into retro computer the more 'luck' you will have.

Most of the great finds I have were because I was the first to notice an add and jump on it.

I have to ask, who buys a complete computer system back in the 80's (when they cost about what a cheap car did) uses it for 2 days and then puts it in the closet?

You know what, I don't doubt that the grandson is embelleshing the story a bit, but he swears to me that his grandfather bought the system new and only used it for a matter of days before storing for it. Either the grandfather didn't care much for computers or just simply forgot about it.

And even if he is lying about it's condition, I don't care. I mean, he's giving it to me, afterall...

Heh! My g/f's son's paternal grandsire keeps telling him about the Altair he has stashed away in his basement somewhere. He's promised it to Paul on many occaisions, but he has yet to actually produce it. (I'm begining to think of it as modern Urban Legend, like the "Barn Car").

--T

Terry Yager said:
Heh! My g/f's son's paternal grandsire keeps telling him about the Altair he has stashed away in his basement somewhere. He's promised it to Paul on many occaisions, but he has yet to actually produce it. (I'm begining to think of it as modern Urban Legend, like the "Barn Car").

--T

Its probably an Altair 400. Altair, Atari.. whats the difference :)

Unknown_K said:
Terry Yager said:

--T

Its probably an Altair 400. Altair, Atari.. whats the difference :)

Nah, this guy's a (retired) computer professional, from Silicon Valley. I'm sure he'd know the difference.

--T

Back