• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting started with Z80 assembly language on an Exidy Sorcerer.

All my Goteks are 1.44mb I think, but with flashfloppy firmware they support pretty much everything in a known format, I've used mine as 5.25" and 3.5" replacements, even oddities like Amiga ADF which it supports natively.

Since I did that fact finding with the MF504C (where did you find the manual?!) I've since had a logic analyser on the major signals and pin 2 IS low, but the SS/ND jumpers are there so why not force it low just in case :)

Currently I don't think I have a working image to test. The Gotek acts like it knows there's a disk present but unformatted. If I put an unknown disk in the MF504C the heads move in the same way.

Witchy,
I found the MF504C Installation manual here:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Mitsubishi
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/man...Flexible Disk Drives - Installation Guide.pdf
https://amaus.org/static/S100/mitsubishi/diskette/Mitsubishi 50xB diskette specifications.pdf
https://nfggames.com/X68000/Documen...i/Mitsubishi 50xB diskette specifications.pdf

Page 214 & 570 of
https://amaus.net/static/S100/tandy/systems/Tandy Notes and Jumpers.pdf

I have not located the Schematic for the Floppy Disk Controller. That was why I asked about Pin 2's state.
Perhaps you have access to the Floppy Disk Controller Schematic.

I don't have any of my GOTEK's ready for CP/M just yet. That is my next step for Kaypro, Ampro Little Board, and Model 4 with Montezuma Micro CP/M.

Thanks.

Larry

I am trying to use a windows PC to hose MyZ80. I would like to send serial characters from CP/M (in myZ80) out the physical serial port of the windows PC hosting the entire thing.

Sounds like this "just works". or does it? Anything in particular I need to do in order to get CP/M, in MyZ80, inside Windows XP, to use the real serial port?

help appreciated thanks.

Steve

Hi Folks,

I understand that this is an old thread but it's the most relevant that i've found ...

I'm on a Sorcerer adventure that feels very similar to this one. I have a sorcerer II with 48k paired with a Micropolis 77 track 100TPI drive unit. I have a CP/M 1.4 system disk which fires up fine. I have some CP/M 2.2 disks that boot but have no programs eg PIP etc other than games. I have been able to transfer small files using PIP under CP/M 1.4.

I attempted to transfer sterm12 (transferred in chunks of hex) and then put back together using PIP. I checked the chunk boundaries in DDT and they look good. It throws up some dialogue on CP/M 1.4 and then freezes - the release notes indicate that version 1.2 does not support CP/M 1.4 so no surprise. Under CP/M 2.2 it dies too but more quickly! So i'm somewhat stuck.

My CP/M 2.2 seems to be a port that was done here in australia - perhaps it is incompatible in some way. The only copy of sterm that i was able to find did not have sources. I'm wondering if it's possible to get hold of the files extracted above. Are there any older versions out there that might run on 1.4?

I was also thinking of adapting the FLOP2PC - or getting a copy of the adaptation shown on the binary dinosaurs site. A disk image of an alternative CP/M 2.2 would also be great - i think "lifeboat" was mentioned in a separate post.

Thanks,
Graham

Hi,

I have Sorcerer boot/utility floppies for Micropolis MDOS 4.0 in Mod I and Mod II formats. Also have CP/M 1.4 and CP/M 2.2 (Lifeboat). Took a while to gather, but I'm there now :)

I'm a bit old school and like to keep the old mechanical drives humming... not much into imaging, although that's a terrific endeavour which I support, even if I don't follow it all.

So, I can cut good floppies with MDOS or CP/M 1.4 & 2.2 (just scored a batch of NOS 16 sector disks, but can fabricate my own when necessary). I'm based in the UK.

Perhaps someone can chime in and advise if CP/M or MDOS disks from 1980 can be copied without copyright concern? I guess if images are available online, it's not much of an issue?

Regards,
Sean

Attachments

• cpm22.jpg
    cpm22.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • cpm1423.jpg
    cpm1423.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
My CP/M 2.2 seems to be a port that was done here in australia - perhaps it is incompatible in some way. The only copy of sterm that i was able to find did not have sources.
I can send you the source code for STERM12 and I have binaries for STERM11 and various others.

Hi,

I have Sorcerer boot/utility floppies for Micropolis MDOS 4.0 in Mod I and Mod II formats. Also have CP/M 1.4 and CP/M 2.2 (Lifeboat). Took a while to gather, but I'm there now :)

I'm a bit old school and like to keep the old mechanical drives humming... not much into imaging, although that's a terrific endeavour which I support, even if I don't follow it all.

So, I can cut good floppies with MDOS or CP/M 1.4 & 2.2 (just scored a batch of NOS 16 sector disks, but can fabricate my own when necessary). I'm based in the UK.

Perhaps someone can chime in and advise if CP/M or MDOS disks from 1980 can be copied without copyright concern? I guess if images are available online, it's not much of an issue?

Regards,
Sean

Thanks very much for your response. I have MDOS and CP/M 1.4. In a way i have a CPM 2.2 but only the boot tracks - no utilities like PIP or DDT. It was port done by a company called Software Source in Sydney. Inconveniently i'm down in Australia so posting disks aaround is a bit of a nuisance. I'm going to attempt to build up basic system disk some executables extracted from another 2.2 image. It's possible, though, that different ports have different disk formats so that may leave me with some sort of frankenstein CP/M that just won't work.

Like you i like to keep mechanical drives humming but i also like to archive the stuff that i have (i've just finished about 500 8" disks) and i appreciate the ease with which disk images can travel the world. Hard sectors present a particular challenge, but in general i can get machines going by downloading and writing images to floppy. I generally read and write disks using the cheap and cheerful greaseweazle solution.

As for copyright - well in principle it all still applies - but there are few owners enforcing it for 30+ year old machines used for non-profit. Amiga ROMs/OS i think are an exception.

I can send you the source code for STERM12 and I have binaries for STERM11 and various others.
Thank you for your reply. I would really appreciate the source code and binaries as that may help me sort out the issues that i've been having. Since my post above i've tried STERM80 which should have been fine with CPM 1.4 but definitely was not in my case. That's left me scratching my head a little!

I thought STERM80 was for an 80 column Sorcerer ...
That may be true. The documentation for version 1.2 indicated that the version numbering scheme jumped from version 9.6 to version 1.0. I hastily concluded that sterm80 was version 8.0 (sterm12 is version 1.2). You're right though - it's probably a variant.

Back