• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Green 753 battery project.

jknightandkarr

Experienced Member
Going to keep a record of reverse engineering 2 batteries, and making new ones available.

So on the first post, I have one torn appart, and I need to remove the corrosion on the batteries, and I am already looking at the battery managment circuit inside. So far it looks pretty simple, but the control chip looks to be like $20 by itself... WOW... should be other options... The chip is BQ2010, so if anyone knows of a much cheaper source or another chip option todo the same thing, I appreciate any help, while I do my own searching.

Last edited:
Is the original chip on your battery corrosion damaged or does it have a lockout mechanism that prevents rebuilds? I know that you would have to source new chips to build 100% new batteries, but what about rebuilding an original? Will it "just work" with new cells hooked up?

Looking at the data sheet, the bq2010 doesn't seem to have an overdischarge lock out so theoretically you should be able to replace the cells and it should just work.

keep in mind I'm no battery expert

Good sign at least. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on cells all for there to be no chance of it working after.
I think it's a good sign enough that there even is a datasheet, these things are usually super proprietary nowadays.

the good thing about NiCd/NiMH batteries is that most of them are dumb batteries. For example in my 5140, the battery is so dumb that it just has two wires - the terminals

Yep. I think the first battery I'm going to be rebuilding is my PowerBook 1400 batteries. All they have in them is a little 3-pin package that looks a bit like a transistor, just tells the computer the battery is there pretty much. That and a few thermal sensors, pretty "dumb".
Also uses 4/3A cells just like the G753 battery.

They're so simple and that's why I like vintage technology so much. None of this planned obsolescence constant internet connection garbage they're pushing out these days. At some point I'm actually going to get moving on rebuilding the battery pack of that 5140 and I hope to have my own Green and get that running on battery power.

It sure is great. Batteries are my least favorite thing about modern laptops. If I want to buy something used to actually use as my daily computer, finding a battery that performs at proper capacity is just so difficult. Manufacturers stop selling them after 2 years (right around the time they actually begin to fail) and then generics or fake OEM packs almost never perform to the capacity that the factory battery did when new. And you can't rebuild them. Such a pain.

On the other hand, my Green753's right hinge already cracked so it's not really portable until I fix that... if it's even going to be possible to hold it together with epoxy. I hope deeply for the day making custom plastic parts that don't look like 3D printed parts do becomes possible. 3D printing is great when cosmetics don't matter, not so much for a major case panel. Brittle plastic sucks.

Tried utsource? They say they have some, but you'll have to buy them to find out. Sometimes they'll come back and say they don't have stock available.

Never heard of them, but they ave the chip like 10 times cheaper so that helps ALOT. Thanks.
Is the original chip on your battery corrosion damaged or does it have a lockout mechanism that prevents rebuilds? I know that you would have to source new chips to build 100% new batteries, but what about rebuilding an original? Will it "just work" with new cells hooked up?
No its fine, planning on making new battery packs using my 3d printer. Going to make a schematic of the board in it, so i know how it works to make it simpler, but will rebuild my batteries as well.

Just a small note, I had my Green laptop fail to power up lately, nada, so while I wait for replacement, I took the plug apart and noticed this, the dark twisted pair, ground probly came off when I toot the plug apart, but the red one, seams to be the issue, not sure if I can resolder that, but will attempt it, after getting replacement to verify it, by probing the plug end with my multimeter. Getting the outside shield back on be tricky since I bent it up just a bit, but not impossible. Anycase, after power up I can continue.
Screenshot 2024-03-18 231658.png

20240323_123153.jpgAs requested here is the color pin out on the power connector, in case anyone needs to repair their connector, like my original ones needs. Not sure what the Black and Red wires as far as the power signal on them, haven't checked them yet.

I have started trying to 3d model a new case for the batteries. Going to take a while, going to try TinkerCad and Google Sketch Up. TinkerCad makes things a bit simpler, and prints don't need repairing after export. Sketch Up makes the designing more accurate, but I usually have issues with having to repair the file before printing, so will update more soon.

Have you tested whether or not the BMS accepts new cells just fine?

Back