• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Green 753 Laptop CPU setup & more

DeltaDon

Veteran Member
The Green 753 was sold by ARM, Brick/Egro, Trogon and Jetta -- perhaps a dozen more brands.

The last version of the factory BIOS could only reported CPU speeds only up to 166 MHz. I have installed a 200 MHz CPU and it operates correctly in the Green but the BIOS does NOT report the correct CPU speed - the CPU does run at 200 MHz per Sandra test program. No AMD CPU's will operate in the Green 753 because of the BIOS - no POST screen. I also tried a Cyrix MII and never got it to POST. Many 753's have only 1MB of video RAM, however a second 1 MB can be plugged into sockets on the bottom side of the motherboard. To fill the sockets you must completely disassemble the 753, so it's not an easy task for the faint at heart.

The 753 power adaptor has a four pin connector power supply and is rated at 22 - 18 volts - a strange rating that means that the voltage goes down as the current goes up.

The 753 uses only 72 pin Fast Page memory modules and has 8 MB of RAM on the motherboard. The maximum that memory can be expanded to is only 40 MB in the machines that I've upgraded. One of the companies that sold the 753 lists in their specifications that they supplied it with up to 72MB, so I need to see how this was possible. (Maybe with some unknown BIOS update?) The 753 has a BIOS that allows customization of boot device.

The hard drive carrier module plugs into the side of the 753 and the largest hard drive that I've installed in a 753, so far, is a 8 GB drive. Above 8GB I believe an overlay program is necessary to override the BIOS. I once heard that if a hard drive larger than 8.3 GB is installed that the CD-ROM drive will not function correctly - some BIOS or circuit problem may exist! I don't recall if I've ever proven or disproved this rumor.

While there isn't any USB ports on the Green 753 all other of the normally expected ports are there including an infrared port. The PCMCIA slots do not support Cardbus devices, but there is a Zoom video PCMCIA slot and a TV out port. The slots are 16 bit only and so your PCMCIA cards must work with 16 bit slots and not just 32 bit slots.

Motherboard Switch settings for Green 753 and always record the old switch settings before changing them - just in case!

SW1 - CPU Speed Settings

Note: It is possible to overclock any Pentium CPU by changing the SW1 settings to a higher speed setting. This may not be a stable condition and the CPU and/or motherboard may be damaged. Data may be lost or corrupted also. Proceed at your own risk when overclocking a CPU.

SpeedSW1-1SW1-2SW1-3SW1-4
75OFFOFFOFFOFF
90OFFONOFFOFF
100ONONOFFOFF
120OFFONOFFON
133ONONOFFON
150OFFOFFONOFF
150OFFONONON
166ONONONON
200*ONONONOFF

1x1.gif
* The above 200 MHz setting is correct, but the BIOS does not report the 200 MHz speed - it reports the CPU running at 166 MHz with most BIOS versions

SW-2

SW2-1SW2-2SW2-3SW2-4SW2-5SW2-6SW2-7SW2-8
ONONONONONONOFFOFF

1x1.gif
I believe that this is correct for all 753's - don't mess with your SW2 switch settings!!!!!!

SW3 - CPU Core Voltage Settings

VoltageSW3-1SW3-2SW3-3SW3-4
2.9ONONOFFOFF
3.1ONOFFOFFOFF
3.3OFFOFFONOFF

1x1.gif
3.3v is the correct Vcc for most Intel non-mmx CPU's

Specs Jetta listed back then line up to that so I'd assume so.

Thanks for the info Don - the one you shipped me should arrived next Wednesday so hopefully I'll have it before the Thanksgiving holiday. I've ordered a P166 and a pair of 16MB sodimms that are coming Monday and Tuesday from eBay so I'm looking forward to getting it all together. I just know I've got a 2.5" hard drive around here somewhere.

The Green 753 is old enough that booting the first time can be "fun" at times. The CD drive requires the proper driver diskette (included) or DOS won't see the drive. The TEAC drives are 6x speed for the most part and can be fussy with modern burned disks. Microsoft Windows disks are no problem once DOS knows how to see the drive. The BIOS is not happy with hard drives over 8GB and so you need Ontrack or other overlay software if attempting to use a large hard drive. Since finding any small 2.5" IDE drives these days is very hard I've gone over to using 8 GB CF cards, which poses a new problem. The problem is that CF cards in their adapter report to BIOS that they are removable devices and therefore not a DOS primary boot disk. Rufus software will load DOS (or Freedos) and also make the CF bootable. CF cards are easy to find and purchase along with 2.5" drive adapters. But then you will also need a USB CF reader for your modern computer to read/write to the CF card from Rufus. At least you don't need to find a set of DOS diskettes if you use Rufus. Once DOS is running you can load Windows if you have a MS CD disk. Do create a 3.5" boot floppy diskette to make life easy if you need to recover in the future and one of the unused driver diskettes could be used for that purpose. Still easier than my first 486 laptop with a 8" LCD that needs much voodoo to load Windows for Workgroups without crashing.

I found 2 references to BIOS updates but can't find the files. I found a reference to g7530109.exe and .zip. January 1997 date. Have not checked date or version on mine yet.

Thanks to Don for selling and providing support on these - it is one thing to just sell something NOS like this and let the buyer know it is on them to get it running, but I appreciate that Don is willing to go the extra mile with help and support. Very nice!

A 1997 dated BIOS is just slightly too old to support Int 13h extensions that allow for drives over 8.4GB.

Thanks for the info Don - the one you shipped me should arrived next Wednesday so hopefully I'll have it before the Thanksgiving holiday. I've ordered a P166 and a pair of 16MB sodimms that are coming Monday and Tuesday from eBay so I'm looking forward to getting it all together. I just know I've got a 2.5" hard drive around here somewhere.
Hi, do you have a link for the ram?

Here it is:

You will have to use some tiny flush cutters to cut the notch slightly larger, but it worked perfectly for me!

Here it is:

You will have to use some tiny flush cutters to cut the notch slightly larger, but it worked perfectly for me!
Thanks, grabbed the last one,

Thanks, grabbed the last one,
Here it is:

working good, 39936kb extended ram recognized. Thanks again!!

I have my own NOS unit running and 100% properly configured now. I did run into a few driver issues that took a bit to get figured out. I believe the driver floppies I got have gone corrupt with time or are otherwise missing files. The trackpad and sound drivers did not properly set up, so I had to source them online, which was a bit tricky.

Touchpad - Pretty simple. Found this Compaq driver that worked great. https://us.driverscollection.com/_4...9.10-B-for-Windows-95-3.x-for-Workgroups-free

Audio - More tricky. Windows 95 identified the sound card as an ESS 1688 which threw me off for a while. It's actually an ESS 1788 PnP AudioDrive, which W95 doesn't support out of the box. It tried anyway to use the 1688 non-pnp driver, which didn't work. I tried several different drivers until I figured out it was a 1788, and then a few more before I found one that worked, which you can get here: https://dosdays.co.uk/media/ess/Drivers/ES1879_AudioDrive_v4.04.00.1327_Win9x.zip
Sound works now, but man do the speakers these shipped with sound terrible! Guess that's one of the quirks of this model haha.

With that sorted, my unit's working great.

Back