• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greeting all Y'all Southerners from Florida!

Noe-Native

Noe-Native

Gents, I stumbled onto and signed up for this forum after seeing all of y'all located here in Florida. I am a Neo-Native, brought here as a baby in 1957 and lived here since, 59 of my 62 years. I live in Loughman, a non-existent town near the geographic center of the state. I am an old guy living in an old house, drivin an old Dodge, using an old Power King tractor, and in love with older Dell 9300 Laptops. I know they are not as vintage as what most of you deal with, but I am hopeful that someone here can help me with my affliction. I have three working 9300s and about 3-4 parts units. I love them! My goal is to find someone who can help me upgrade to newer software, simplify the working innards to basic Internet/email useage and keep them alive for as long as I live.....I know they are old, slow, limited memory, but so am I! So, thanks for letting me post on your thread and let me know if you or anyone you know can help me out with my affliction. Many thanks!

Hey Old Daddy welcome. I live up north of Orlando in the city of DeBary in Volusia county. I see you are north of Davenport area. I am 58 so just a few years younger than you I am a TRS-80 Fan myself. Don't have any laptops right now or portables.

May want to talk about your Dell 9300's in the portables section of the threads. Might be able to get help there.

Good luck and have fun here. Lot's of knowledgeable people.

Hello, new Florida (tampa area) resident here! I recently stumbled across these forums, tons of useful info here, how have I not been here earlier?

I've been collecting Commodore (C64, Vic20) for a bit and am getting back into early PC stuff. Currently trying to piece together a Tandy 1000 system.

To the gentleman asking about getting old laptops useable for internet in the modern day (without opening yourself up to immediately getting hacked) I would recommend installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu Linux. Essentially, this will get you a secure up-to-date system that runs on lower spec hardware.

You should be able to burn a bootable CD that will let you try the OS before you install it permanently so you can have an idea how compatible it will be. Good luck!

Went to Home Depot to get some supplies. They are all out of water, flashlights and generators. They did have batteries.
Then went to Wal-Mart and they are completely out of batteries and flashlights.

Current weather models now show Jacksonville could take a hit.

Last edited:
Just keep an eye on it
Was that meant to be a pun? :)

FWIW, as with all tropical storms and hurricanes most of the damage and casualties are a result of water, not the wind, itself. Yes, the wind can be devastating but the water, both the flooding caused by the rain but even much more so, the overwhelming losses as a result of the storm surge are the real threats to life and limb. IOW, get away from the coast! Just being a few miles inland makes a whole world of difference.

FWIW, as with all tropical storms and hurricanes most of the damage and casualties are a result of water, not the wind, itself. Yes, the wind can be devastating but the water, both the flooding caused by the rain but even much more so, the overwhelming losses as a result of the storm surge are the real threats to life and limb. IOW, get away from the coast! Just being a few miles inland makes a whole world of difference.

Floridians, get your vintage computers to a high place! Not even flood insurance can replace some of these machines. I do hope you guys will be ok.

FWIW, as with all tropical storms and hurricanes most of the damage and casualties are a result of water, not the wind, itself.

Don't forget that hurricanes spawn tornadoes. A tornado ripped through my neighborhood awhile back causing a lot of roof damage to houses. Blew down a lot of trees including a tall pine tree in my backyard. It barely missed my house. Several of my neighbors were not so lucky.

Well, hurricane Mathew came and went. Lots of rain and wind. Lots of big trees have blown down in my neighborhood and many homes are without power, but I made it through ok. Never lost power or internet access. No damage to my house.
The beaches area which is about 45 minutes from my house got hit the worst.

In my area, we were supposed to have 4.5-5ft flooding of the St. Johns River, 100mph sustained winds... thankfully it was much less. We still flooded, but not 4.5ft, and it only affected some of the low-lying homes on the canals on the river. Lots of trees came down, but very few onto homes, thankfully. At the max, winds were around 70mph sustained, gusting higher. I had spent the majority of the Wednesday evening prior building make-shift shelving to lift my collection up higher. Basically cut plywood and cinder blocks. Thankfully, water levels never came close. I don't regret the shelving; it was needed anyway.

I still need to go through the collection, fix a few key pieces, then unload the chaff.... Eventually.

Glad to see that others seemed to make it through ok

Matthew passed South Florida by mostly. We just had some wind. I did put the storm shutters up for the first time. Good way to check whether the sets were complete: they are. Got rid of my LaserDisc collection after that. Not enough room to put things high enough with it: now without the collection: no issue. I also took out FEMA flood insurance in September. :)

Just thought I'd chime in and say hi.

Down in South Florida myself, Dania Beach. Anyone else local?

Back