• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greeting all Y'all Southerners from Florida!

Little chilly up here near Orlando. 55 degrees expected high 75. So PeterLI when you having that house warming party? Can't be June or July though going out to Colorado to visit my Daughter and her family. Best thing is she is paying for the trip.

Been a couple years since I poked my probosics into the VCF Forums. Hmm... Ah, a Floridians thread! I consider myself semi-native, having moved here 30 years ago to get married and go to UF, and just never left. And every time I go to MD to visit my family I come home a little happier that I'm here instead of there! And apparently I'm not the only old-computer fan in Gator Country- I just sold two Sparc IPXs, two SGI O2s, and a Hercules monochrome card to a local.:cool:

I'm trying to limit the accumulation of vintage stuff and weed out some of the redundant stuff around here; storage space is finite and shrinking as the garage fills up with guitar builds!

Hi guys just thought I would put up something here for us South Easterners. First thing is that most Southerners don't even consider Florida part of the south because of all the retired New Yorkers and Mid-Westerners around here.
And don't forget the seasonal snowbird migrations! Seen on a bumpersticker in Pinellas County: HAPPINESS IS A NEW YORKER HEADED NORTH WITH A CANADIAN UNDER EACH ARM.

Retired New Yorkers? Well, at least that means there is probably some technology there.

Here in Atlanta, nobody even knows what a computer is. It's sort of ironic really, during the 80s, Atlanta was sort of a technology hub with software companies all over and hosting Comdex and all. Not much of that around here any more (at least that I can see).
Hey, we've got technology all over the place! I help run a statewide 100gbps network! Ah Atlanta, attended Networld/Interop a couple of times up there.

So who's coming to VCF SE 4.0 on April 2nd and 3rd in Atlanta?
Alas, not I, though it would be fun. My mad-money expenditures are focused on ham radio, stereo repair, and guitar construction these days. I do still hope to get to putting the H-89 and Ampro back together at some point this year, but too many other projects are stacked up ahead.

comments about hurricanes, particulary Andrew
Fine Homebuilding did an article on building practices in south Florida post-Andrew, and determined that probably as high as 90% of all houses built in Homestead were ridiculously out of code compliance - plywood nailed every 24" instead of every 6", no rafter/truss ties to wall studs, thin windows, and the list went on and on.

No Pete, Never did. Have you gone to Rustic in crab house yet? Just down the road from you. Very casual, newspapers are place mats. And a lot of mallets too to beat the blue crabs into submission :D

Ah Mrz80 a Gator fan. Me 2. My daughter went to UF to get her medical degree and onto Shands to do her residency. When she was still living there the house they were renting was way out in the town of Archer. Used to drive there a lot to visit them. Now that she is out in Colorado no more weekend visits which I miss the most.

Nope! I have a bad seafood allergy! :(

That's too bad. Rustic Inn is an awesome place. Used to go there for lunch all the time when I worked at the airport since it's literally just outside the airport bounds.

That's too bad. Rustic Inn is an awesome place. Used to go there for lunch all the time when I worked at the airport since it's literally just outside the airport bounds.

I loved beating the Garlic crabs with the wood mallets. Meet many a Miami Dolphin player there as well. This was back in the 80's. Been a long time since I have been there. Yeah JustRob just on the other side of I-95 from the airport.

Broward County here, I used to get all my old computer stuff in the 90's/early 2000s from the Swap Shop and various thrift stores near there (World Thrift was amazing), now this place is a wasteland. Would be great to set up some kind of swap meet

Back