• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Guide to EPROM programming (Genius G540)

I find that the best way to burn EPROMs is to place them under a small pile of thermite and ignite with a magnesium ribbon. :)

All kidding aside, a nice article! FWIW, covering the window is rarely necessary if the EPROM will live inside a dark box. It pretty much takes a week of direct sunlight to have much of an effect on the contents of one. Standard fare is to use a simple paper label (Avery 6107 is what I use) over the window.

For EPROM windows, what I use is the write-protect stickers that come with 5.25" floppy disks.
I never use them for their actual purpose, they're a good thickness, and a perfect fit.

Good write up. I think I need to get one of those units.
I'm using a Willem clone, and while it works great, I'd like something with a case that can configure itself automatically. I'd also appreciate being able to use USB instead of a heavy 25pin parallel cable hanging out the back :)

I know its been a while, but I have a G540 and had to program some EPROMS for my Sbc6120 Harris chip PDP8 clone. I found I needed to use the offset to program the top half of the proms. The load file I had was for 27c256 but I only had 27c512 and the high address pin is wired high, so it would be nice to document what the offsets do. Its not in the manual.

Back