• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HeadStart Explorer and XT-IDE v1.0

Issue 1: When I use a CF card on an adapter, the card is found (although, no ID string), I can also FDISK a 40Meg partition... but after a reboot the partition is gone.
I'd say that the lack of ID string is enough of a clue that there are some serious communication issues with that card or adapter. there should *always* be an ID string displayed. Because of that, all bets are off that anything read or written to the drive will not really be written properly, which explains the disappearing partition table, or the lack of the ability to read it. Could be either the adapter or the CF card here, and only experimenting will tell.

Issue 2: At the first boot of the PC, let's say when the harddisk hasn't spun up yet, the BIOS shows no drive installed for drive 0 and drive 1. If I CTRL+ALT+DEL, so a reboot without power loss, then the harddisk is detected as a Maxtor and everything works (otherwise, logically, I get no harddisk). The CF doesn't have this problem BTW (although it's erased after a reboot, but since it's ready in a short time I guess this is successfully polled at boot??). Since I've ordered 2 64MB DOMs (Disk On Module) that I plan on using, I guess this won't be a problem... I just hope those aren't loosing the partition after a reboot (soft or hard, as the CF does).
that's odd. I suppose it's possible that the ID data won't come back til after it is spun up, but on most drives, spin up is not a requirement to get the identify device data to be returned. (SCSI for example can be set up to not spin up at all until after the drive has been identified). You need a slower computer. ;)
Seriously though, I'd think that more experimenting with different drives and newer models (even notebook drives with 44 pin adapters) and you will eventually find one that meets all the requirements you want. The DOM is of course the ideal.

Issue 2: WHen I use the v1.1.5 BIOS, I can't use anything at all, no disks are found, the CF won't work either. No menu shows at boot, and when booting the boot screen stays on screen for about 30secs and then it will beep and continue with reading drive A. I can see the BIOS with debug at CC00 but no harddisk/CF.
universal bios I can't really help with. I think that as long as you eventually get a DOM or CF or HDD that does work properly with the 0.11HS bios you're running now, you will likely have no problems for years to come.

Well, I'll see what those DOMs do then... I've ordered some 64MB ones, so I can get a 40MB partition made just like the original harddisk... too bad I couldn't get those Seagate ST351A/X to work (another thread, they only work as 20MB, not the full 40). Anyhoo, I'll wait for the DOMs and let you know. I suspect the CF will be at fault then. I have two adapters and both have the same problem: no ID string etc. Plus the previous owner of the XT-IDE card (and those Explorers) couldn't get that CF to work either.

Now to get some more controllers for my PS/2 Model 30 286 computers... I signed up for a couple of V2 board in the next ordering batch :) Because I like soldering stuff... 'n stuff :)

BTW: You don't happen to have a BIOS version that doesn't do the menu? I'd just like it to search for a floppy and otherwise boot from C. That's an option in the Universal BIOS... you don't happen to have version 0.12LS that doesn't do the menu thingie? Just a question, no request btw. I'm quite happy with 0.11HS if I get that working with the DOM.

Thanx for bearing with me on this one, and for all the extensive help. Too bad we couldn't get it working on those Explorers, but I'm glad I have a solution for my LX-40 (if those DOMs work). I really appreciate it man :cool:

BTW: You don't happen to have a BIOS version that doesn't do the menu? I'd just like it to search for a floppy and otherwise boot from C. That's an option in the Universal BIOS... you don't happen to have version 0.12LS that doesn't do the menu thingie? Just a question, no request btw. I'm quite happy with 0.11HS if I get that working with the DOM.
that would be a custom BIOS build, but I'd be happy to make whatever BIOS changes you'd like. Once you get your DOM in and verify that it works, let's go back to stock 0.11 BIOS:
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/xtide_011.zip
and see if that works on this machine. If so, chopping out the messages is easy. I'd hacked up enough stuff in that 011HS BIOS that may or may not be required to work on your machine, so this will give us a fresh starting point.

WOW! The DoMs arrived yesterday... I tried them this morning, disconnected the MiniScribe, put in the controller and everything WORKS!!! :) I ordered two DoMs and I've partitioned them both with a 42M partition, made it active, rebooted, installed MS-DOS 5.0. 's all goode ;-) The partitions stay on, even after power off. And with the standard @ECHO OFF and CLS in my AUTOEXEC.BAT I even end up with a clear screen, so nu worries about that boot menu. I was thinking that maybe it would be cool to have the controller not show anything on screen (I know, that's gonna make it a bit hard to see if it works in the future) but that way everything "seems" still original (except for the "MiniScribe-meep-meep-sound", really am gonna miss that).

Anyhow, I am now provided with a good way to keep my HeadStart having a harddrive :) Thanx everyone, especially hargle for the 0.11 BIOS (since somehow the Universal BIOS won't work). Next: building two controllers for my Model 30 286 with a 32M DoM :)

Everyone have a merry Christmas and a happy newyear!! :xmas2:

Back