• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Italy

sam2000

Hi, this is Paolo, I live in Italy near Milan, I'm a computer and hardware amateur, my interests in computer is especially towards Unix systems or anything that can be used or modified to run Unix (in any flavour, System V, BSD, Linux, ...). I also enjoy computer electronics, I have some little knowledge about Z80, 680x0, MCUs (I know about AVR and ARM). Not related to vintage computing I am also a railway modeler and licensed radio amateur.
As of today I have an HP 9000 workstation (HPPA), three SUN UltraSPARC systems, an Apple Macintosh 68040.
I recently developed interests for DEC systems hardware, so I'm studying a bit in that direction.
I am so happy to have found a forum of such wonderful people like you all. I'm looking forward to discuss bits and chips with you.
Best regards everyone

Paolo

Paolo it sounds like you have a nice bunch of Hobbies. I know I have too many myself.

I am sure you will find folks here who have interests in the Unix machines you mentioned and maybe you can learn of some new ones. For instance I'd like to upgrade my TRS-80 model II from 1979 with a Motorolla 68K CPU so I can run XENIX.

Anyway Welcome to the forum.

Hello Paolo. Welcome to the forums!
I'm interested in Macintosh (CPU 68000).

Hello Paolo. Welcome to the forums!
I'm interested in Macintosh (CPU 68000).
My interest in that platform is because it was once supported by Linux. Now it's not supported anymore but some *BSD is still viable. I have a performa 630 which I would like to hack in becoming a quadra 630 :)

Paolo it sounds like you have a nice bunch of Hobbies. I know I have too many myself.

I am sure you will find folks here who have interests in the Unix machines you mentioned and maybe you can learn of some new ones. For instance I'd like to upgrade my TRS-80 model II from 1979 with a Motorolla 68K CPU so I can run XENIX.

Anyway Welcome to the forum.
TRS is an unknown world for me but if it's *nixable then it will be source of interest :)

Hello Paolo, welcome. I started with Linux back in about 2000. I still use it today to keep several old computers alive. I have installed Linux also on old MAC equipment.

Seaken

Hello Paolo, welcome. I started with Linux back in about 2000. I still use it today to keep several old computers alive. I have installed Linux also on old MAC equipment.

Seaken
Although not right now, I am very interested in knowing about Linux on Mac. Linux dropped support on Mac years ago and I can't find anymore info about it, so I was thinking at some *BSD. But would be happy to run Linux. My Mac is a Performa 630 hacked into a Quadra 631

Yes, some distros dropped direct support for some MAC's but since it's open source there are communities who still do it. It's been a while for me, but I used Debian for PPC.

Seaken

Back