• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello, my name is Charrisa

Charrisa

I've been intrigued by vintage computers for a very very long time, but never had the capital to actually get into collecting until recently. Ever since I was a young girl I was into computers as my father had been since he was young as well, in fact his first computer was a ZX81 American assembly kit. I live in Aloha Oregon, a suburb of Beaverton, which is a suburb of Portland, which is rather neat as quite a bit of computing history comes from Portland. I hope that y'all will enjoy my company, and I yours.

Welcome, Charrisa. My first computer was also a ZX81, built by my dad. Not from a kit however. He was an electronics guy, and at work they had the facilities to etch PCBs themselves, build simple cases from aluminium etc... So he and a few colleagues all made their own ZX81 from scratch.
I still have the machine, and it still works.
ZX81.jpgZX81Inside.jpg

Welcome, Charrisa. There's a T/S 1000 lurking around this house somewhere, and a T/S 2068. What other systems do you have?
I actually only have an Osborne 1, which is only half working, and I am working on getting it fully functional. I also have a TS1000 coming in the mail. My first computer wasn't that old, I think it was just a Win 95 PC, but old computers have always intrigued me, I just now finally have the money to start investing into them.

So he and a few colleagues all made their own ZX81 from scratch.
I still have the machine, and it still works.
Wow that looks really cool! Seems like it'd be nice to type on.

Thanks all for the welcome!

I actually only have an Osborne 1, which is only half working, and I am working on getting it fully functional.

That's still quite a starting point. I hope you're able to restore it!

This hobby gets a little addicting, which is why I have a firm rule that the computers stay in the office and the server room. A couple leaked out into the bedrooms but they have a good reason for being there. :)

Welcome Charissa,

You are in a great physical location for retro computing and I know there are many retro computing groups around there. Welcome to the site!

Heather

When you get your TS1000, I'm sure you will have lots of questions

Really, do you think so? It seems extremely simple in design, as I thought was part of the original selling point.

So my TS1000 arrived, got it all hooked up and the good news is that it displays just fine. However I cannot get any response from the keyboard, I must be cursed with non-functional keyboards.

Welcome Charrisa,

I'm new to the form also but my first ever computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 that I bought when I was 13 years old at Thrifty's Drug Store. (Do you remember them?). I still have it but haven't used it in many years. If you dare to open the case check the connection from the keyboard to the board as most the time if you open one up you don't always get the plastic ribbon cable back in the connector all the way.

Back