• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identifying PS/2 board

tony359

Experienced Member
Hi all,

In my PS/2 model 30 8086 (ISA) I found this board. It's not serial or parallel - at least CheckIt doesn't see any additional serial or parallel ports - and there is nothing on it to say what it could be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• GB5E3eCXEAERhpq.jpg
    GB5E3eCXEAERhpq.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 32
  • GB5E3eEXsAE-2zM.jpg
    GB5E3eEXsAE-2zM.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 30
I was going to say it's an IBM 5250 or Enhanced 5250 emulation card but that has an extra metal cap on it.

Edit: "7373647 brings up a page of a guy decapping a similarly marked chip inside an IBM 5291 twinax terminal, so it might still likely be some form of a terminal emulation card if this was IBM sharing the chip between devices (and I'm reading the part number correctly)

Ah, I see thank you. So it'll just sit inside my PS/2 doing nothing! Too bad as it covers most of the motherboard! :)

Thanks for that!

Hi all,

In my PS/2 model 30 8086 (ISA) I found this board. It's not serial or parallel - at least CheckIt doesn't see any additional serial or parallel ports - and there is nothing on it to say what it could be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply - That is the initial 5250 emulation adapter, as reported. See the line at the bottom of the "silver-cap" ASIC starting '18440...'? As Ken Shirriff discovered, '1' is for the location of pin 1, then '84' is the year, '40' is the week (as is standard in the industry).

I think that is a single-session adapter (later IBM adapters were as much as four display/printer sessions) - but was unaware of the same ASIC being used in the 5291 terminal (since I am just having one sent to me).

Thank you - and sorry for the delay! I haven't touched it, it lives inside the PS/2 (at least it doesn't take space). I guess I'll never know if it works! Thanks for the links @IBMMuseum !

Thank you - and sorry for the delay! I haven't touched it, it lives inside the PS/2 (at least it doesn't take space). I guess I'll never know if it works! Thanks for the links @IBMMuseum !
I have the diagnostic diskette for the later adapters at https://ibmmuseum.com/5250Emul/IBM/Diagnostic/ (the PNG image just shows what the diskette looks like; I should reduce it in size) - It should work for the earlier adapters since the I/O addresses are the same.

Back