• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identifying this home-brewed Computer

Seatown

Have you ever seen something like this?

It looks like someone with an original idea created this prototype. Nothing about it says I'm a kit.

The first clue is the keyboard. As you can see, the command keys are hand written.

HBPC1.jpg
HBPC2.jpg
HBPC4.jpg
HBPC6.jpg
HBPC5.jpg

Hi Seatown,

I think it's a Sinclair ZX81 that's been fitted into a keyboard from an earlier terminal. Photo 3 shows the Astec modulator and photo 4 really look ZX81ish to me.
I think they went to the USA under the Timex brand IIRC.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

It is indeed a Sinclair ZX81 board. Good eye!!

Sinclair ZX81.jpg

However, this tells me only half of the story.

I doubt there's very much 'story' to be found in it. They probably got a ZX81 kit, decided (rightly, IMO) that the little plastic case and membrane keyboard were incredibly lame, and instead went to the surplus shop, picked up something nicer and re-wired it to work. That sort of thing was (relatively speaking) pretty common practice back then.

You may be able to find a manufacturer name or part number or something on the PCB and/or plastic panels, that could shed some light on what it originally came out of...

Looks like it was made using old parts from an electronics hobbyist's junk drawer. I see selenium rectifiers in the power supply, and those have not been widely used since the 1960s.

Selenium rectifiers are okay if you're careful to hold your nose when they decide to fail. I can never wipe that peculiar stink from my memory. Even in the 1960s, IR was offering replacement silicon rectifier cartridge kits for TV selenium replacement.

I'm not sure where you're seeing selenium rectifiers... are you talking about the big black things? Because those look like regular heatsinks to me... or actually, I suspect it might be one heatsink, in this sort of fashion.

Back