• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with CompactFlash Image for US Delivery - Well Known Music Artist

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
I urgently need assistance with this.

I've previously provided a CompactFlash card for a well known music artist in the USA to run a 5160 with some old MIDI software. However the card has been lost and therefore I have been asked to provide a replacement.

Anyone that can help me with this please get in touch ASAP. You will need to:

• Supply a 1, 2 or 4GB CompactFlash card compatible with Lo-tech ISA-CF
  • Format the card with MS-DOS 3.3 (or PC-DOS 3.3) and install the OS
  • Copy on everything I will provide via a DropBox link
  • Ensure that the card can BOOT an IBM PC 5160

Why am I asking? First, it's needed quickly, and second, my equipment is currently unusable due to some stuff having gone missing in a move.

Please PM or get in touch via Lo-tech site if you can help me with this. Cost of card and some nominal beer tokens will of course be provided!

James,
FDISK from MS-DOS 3.3 allowed partition sizes of up to 32 MB (or 65,535 sectors at 512 bytes per sector) and recognizes
hard disks of up to 504 MB (1,024 cylinders, 16 heads and 64 sectors per track).

Are you sure you want to use that, and make several 32MB Partitions for 1, 2, or 4G?

I'm using a 2GB DOM (1 - 2GB Partition) and a 6GB Hitachi MicroDrive (2 - 3GB Partitions) with MSDOS 7.1 from Win 98SE with
the Fdisk Program from Win ME. That seems to work well.

Larry

Folder issues sorted - strange as I'd emptied sent only a week or so back. But anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Forget that, I want to know which "well known music artist" is composing on a 5160!

Just to say thank you to everyone that replied here and via my personal mail - very much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, can you divulge what XT-requiring MIDI software is being used on the system-in-question?

This is a real commercial use so I think it would be wrong to divulge any more. Other than that Lo-tech is of course at the heart of the operation :)

Out of curiosity, can you divulge what XT-requiring MIDI software is being used on the system-in-question?

I'm not aware of any that requires an XT, but I've used more than one MIDI sequencer that worked well on them. Most notably Sequencer Plus. Its only drawback is that your entire composition must be done in SP, unless you multitrack, in which case SP has to be the first thing you record. It has a very PC-stereotypical problem: when you tell it to start playing, there's a random length pregnant pause before it starts playing.

Sequencer Plus does seem a likely candidate. Since use of an MPU-401 paired with one of James' MIF cards is a given, the software-in-question could also be one of Roland's IBM-compatible offerings - MRC (1984), MESA (1986), or MPS with the Super Jupiter Editor (1986).

One design goal of my MIF-IPC was to support multiple MPU-401s. Maybe one day it will be tested!

Back