• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with PCjr Power Supply Board

gobabushka

I just got a PCjr from a friend that I'm hoping to put back into service. It won't power up, so I pulled out the multimeter and checked the PSU board in the machine, looks like the 12v rail is only putting out round 8. any suggestions on where to start?

I can't really help with the debugging, and this may not really be helpful at all, but I have a spare power supply card from inside a sidecar that I have no use for. I'd be happy to send it to you for shipping. This offer is just for the internal PCB, no sidecar shell and no power brick.
It may be useful for stealing caps or other bits from.

I really, really wish I could help. If I could somehow contact my 13 year old self I'm sure he/I would have the answer. That was the age I found a cache of PCjr machines in a storage closet at my Jr High. I repaired and rebuilt nearly every one of them for my English teacher to use for a makeshift writing lab. I know I fixed a few power supply issues.

I seem to remember a few obviously blown caps, but if you own a multimeter and know how to use it, those would have already been apparent.

Back