• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Here's a BA123

RSX11M+

Veteran Member
If I could, I'd buy this BA123 and convert it to an 11/83. An 11/73B CPU and a hard drive is all it would take. It's got a lot of nice options (PMI memory, TK50 drv+ctl, DHQ11, DELQA...) plus cables, cabinet kits and stuff I don't recognize.

Probably the VAX II and unneeded modules would sell for a good bit of what it costs. Or keep em for posterity.

Like to hear if it works out for someone because of this post.

Have you folks priced that stuff separately?

I'm guessing not.

• TK50 Drive, control and cable ~$125
  • DHQ11 with cabinet kits ~110
  • DELQA with cabinet kit ~$175 (if you're lucky)
  • Plus two other controllers I couldn't ident from the pics: SCSI Tape Ctl and DILOG ESDI HD ctl
  • Kinetic (?) serial highway driver (SHD) CAMAC DUAL Qbus ctl
  • KA630 MicroVAX II - ~$150 without cabinet kit
  • TWO 4MB memory modules plus cable ~$100 minimum
  • 12 (?) Slot Backplane

Heck, an empty BA23 goes for $200-$400 and usually doesn't have all the cover parts!

This is a BA123, the biggest single QBUS chassis with the best power supply - sufficient for 5 drives. It's a free standing enclosure on wheels, not like the BA23 pedestal. Covers come off to give easy service access.

I should get a commission for writing this ad.:eek:ha:

Last edited:
Clearly, I'm not getting any sympathy. LOL!

You know, I don't get anything from this...

Those prices are from eBay (and other sellers I frequent) but not the highest. Some are what I've paid myself for items. (except the BA123, as I said)

Very infrequently, do I see modules on eBay with the cabinet kits and cables. It's difficult to estimate their cost, so in some cases I just used the price of a module, in others I guesstimated.

Incidentally, there are 3 DHQ11 cabinet kits there, only 2 are connected. The 3rd is left from a DHQ that was removed.

I've seen members here pay north of $200 recently, for incomplete "systems" they're still finding parts for. This one has all the hard stuff already, plus a great base.

Ok, I'm done selling. You guys are a tough crowd. Somebody is going to get this thing, and it's a heck of a deal. I'll just keep looking for a BA123 I can afford, but seeing this one go down the road hurts.

Part of the problem is I've had a BA123 in the past, and know how nice it is.

I'm guessing not.

• Plus two other controllers I couldn't ident from the pics: SCSI Tape Ctl and DILOG ESDI HD ctl
  • TWO PMI memory modules plus cable ~$100 minimum
  • 12 (?) Slot Backplane

Heck, an empty BA23 goes for $200-$400 and usually doesn't have all the cover parts!

This is a BA123, the biggest single QBUS chassis with the best power supply - sufficient for 5 drives. It's a free standing enclosure on wheels, not like the BA23 pedestal. Covers come off to give easy service access. $100 on a good day. They cost a fortune to ship.

I should get a commission for writing this ad.:eek:ha:

You sound like the guys on Storage Wars. "That's a $100 bill any day!" Your prices are way off. You need to search sold auctions not what people ask. KA630 go for like almost nothing on ebay. An empty BA23 wont get you $400 on ebay.

I surrender.
Sorry to sound so harsh. I just see crazy prices on eBay. I guess
it comes down to if you feel this is an acceptable price to you go for
it. But I feel it's too pricey. Best of luck to you.

I think rsx11m is being quite realistic with his prices. While I can't speak to the value of the vax processor, the qbus board prices he lists are pretty close to spot on, even a bit low when the cab kits are included. I should know, I've bought most of these boards recently.

If it wasn't for the shipping costs to get the ba123 into Canada, I'd buy it on the spot. Heck, there's even a KDJ11-bb PMI capable processor (a perfect match for this box) available for $115 OBO.

I'm guessing not.

• TWO 4MB memory modules plus cable ~$100 minimum
  • 12 (?) Slot Backplane

$110 for a DHQ11 and cables? How about only $25 including shipping for a DHV11 with cables and bulkhead connectors. Only one bid:

DEC DHV11 Q-bus Serial Card M3104 & Cables
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181332716829

I thought about bidding on that one, but really I have enough DHV11 and DHQ11 for now.

If you need some specific item today, sure you can pay a lot. If you wait and look around there are always bargains.

The BA123 from eBay seller "washingtonsurplusinc" that started this thread came from a University of Washington surplus auction. I think it was around $400 when I stopped bidding on that one and that is about what it sold for, including an external SDI drive cabinet (if I remember correctly) that the eBay seller sold separately. Looked like a nice system but I already have on BA123 that only cost me about $125 a couple of years ago on eBay fairly loaded though a little more scuffed up.

I wonder where he scored these two 11/93 systems that sold almost immediately for $1200 each:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331119256236
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331119257849

If they had 4MB CPU boards instead of 2MB CPU boards I would have been tempted to buy one as those are not something you usually see on eBay.

Back