• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hey everyone

Ryan

I found this site while looking for some information regarding some old hardware/software I have. I've been doing some cleaning recently and need to decide if I'm going to pull this stuff out and use it or get rid of it.

I've been working with computers since my dad bought an Apple II+. Started writing code on it and was addicted. Used that for a few years and then started messing around with the IBM stuff he started using. Been developing software/repairing computers ever since. Reading some of the posts here sure brings back some memories. MFM drives, 8bit ISA, micro channel... it doesn't seem that long ago.

Hopefully I can be of some use.

Wasn't there some guy looking for a Game Blaster (with original box)? :biggrin:

Regards,
Ryan

I found this site while looking for some information regarding some old hardware/software I have. I've been doing some cleaning recently and need to decide if I'm going to pull this stuff out and use it or get rid of it.

I've been working with computers since my dad bought an Apple II+. Started writing code on it and was addicted. Used that for a few years and then started messing around with the IBM stuff he started using. Been developing software/repairing computers ever since. Reading some of the posts here sure brings back some memories. MFM drives, 8bit ISA, micro channel... it doesn't seem that long ago.

Hopefully I can be of some use.

Wasn't there some guy looking for a Game Blaster (with original box)? :biggrin:

Regards,
Ryan

Welcome.

I hope you'll find therse forums a nice place.

Methinks that you have definitely found a nice place. What's a Game Blaster? Kinda like a Sound Blaster?

These guys are great, you'll love the discussions and everything. My main thing is making these old machines be productive in this "new" tech world. People love seeing an old clamshell laptop or at least on that's thick as two newer ones being used as a real machine.

Welcome aboard!

Methinks that you have definitely found a nice place. What's a Game Blaster? Kinda like a Sound Blaster?

These guys are great, you'll love the discussions and everything. My main thing is making these old machines be productive in this "new" tech world. People love seeing an old clamshell laptop or at least on that's thick as two newer ones being used as a real machine.

Welcome aboard!

Yeah, the Game Blaster was before the Sound Blaster. There weren't very many games that worked with it, more with the Ad-Lib emulation mode, but compared to the pc speaker, it was awesome.

Hey hey! Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like an interesting background, and like you'll fit right in and be able to contribute valuable input from personal experience. I too repair computers, can't do much with code 'cept BASIC.

Looking forward to that for sale list ;-). Where are you located on this planet?

--Ryan
PS mine's Ryan too!

Welcome to the forums.

My coding days are LONG behind me, but, I repair vintage and legacy computers, and supply parts and systems, for companies that still use them.

I have a 2U 19 inch rack system (industrial 220V, so, I'll have to plug it into the dryer recepticle LOL) that drives a custom cutter coming from West Virginia and some other kind of SBC process driver from someone they told coming from Alabama.

I even do the odd bit of work for people on here (Harry, I swear I'll get your ][+ done this week).

I think you'll feel right at home here.

Hey hey! Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like an interesting background, and like you'll fit right in and be able to contribute valuable input from personal experience. I too repair computers, can't do much with code 'cept BASIC.

Looking forward to that for sale list ;-). Where are you located on this planet?

--Ryan
PS mine's Ryan too!

Updated my profile.

Sadly, quite a bit of the really old stuff I had has been disposed of over the years as I ran out of room to store it.

I was reading a few threads last night and came across one for configuring autoexec.bat and config.sys. That sure does bring back memories... 40MB hard drive, trying to decide whether to have Windows 3.1 installed or a game (Might and Magic III maybe?) because there wasn't room for both. Spending countless hours squeezing every last drop of memory from the base 640.

Welcome Ryan,

Yea, storage is a probem for most of us. I've had to seriously resist buying interesting vintage computers due to the "room issue" (not to mention the "spouse issue"). :D

Tezza

Welcome Ryan,

Yea, storage is a probem for most of us. I've had to seriously resist buying interesting vintage computers due to the "room issue" (not to mention the "spouse issue"). :D

Tezza
HAHA!! Space or Spouse, I totally feel you there. Mine puts up with it for the moment. She'll be happier when I finally move out of the kitchen.

I didn't used to have space issues, but pffft, can't you believe the female guidance unit said I shouldn't have servers in the kitchen?! I know! Unbelievable. So with the lack of kitchen space and living room and bedroom storage now the space is a bit more cramped.

Either way, welcome Ryan. You could certainly post any items you're wanting to sell in the marketplace auction site or in a sale thread.

Yea. I mean, if there is still a "pathway" amongst the machines you can still move around the house, right? I dunno what their probem is? :D

Tez

I bet I could make a rackmount look like the coolest fridge ever. I'd even put a glass door on the front! I'm glad I'm not the only one with stuff in the kitchen.

Must reorganize soon, the path has become... overgrown.

lmao.. she'd kill me but no, if I was fortunate enough to come across one (yeah I'd snatch it) it would stay in the kitchen as it was meant to be. Besides, what's cooler than taking 30 minutes to program something to calculate how many eggs to make for 3 people?

The rack I have has a glass front actually, it's a nice black unit but right now just ended up getting stuffed with some non-rack equipment (some mainframe communication devices). It's in the garage though. I just had a lot of server stuff in the kitchen at the time she moved in. I mean, seriously though.. I was single, the kitchen is huge and a big waste of space to myself.

At this rate I'll be lucky to sneak a kegerator in somewhere.

Back