• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi from Denmark

Mikael

Name is Mikael and I got onboard the whole computer thing back in the day
when real boys used CP/M and horribly big floppies.

Not a collector as such but I have kept my Lambda 8300 with 16K memory expansion pack
and my ZX Spectrum 48K that now resides in a ZX Spectrum+ case due to the eraser keyboard wearing out
back in the day. Alas my 2 Lambda games got eaten by the cat at some point but I still have a minor heap for the Speccie.

Also bought a used ZX81 at a yard sale for a pittance and recently fitted it with a new keyboard membrane.
Never got around to testing it though as it had no power supply.

Best regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Välkommen från Sverige!

The mention of a ZX Spectrum 48K in a ZX Spectrum+ case intrigues me. Did you have to change the ROM in order for that to work? I happen to have a working 48K and a broken + but when I tried to cross-mix the keyboard, I only got garbage on screen when pressing the keys. Since the motherboards including ULA should be virtually identical, I expected it to be a ROM issue but haven't investigated it further. As the ROM chips tend to be soldered in place, I haven't yet tried to replace it with some EPROM solution.

Välkommen från Sverige!

The mention of a ZX Spectrum 48K in a ZX Spectrum+ case intrigues me. Did you have to change the ROM in order for that to work?

If memory serves me it was a kit one could buy instead of a new rubber keyboard. And I think the only mod I needed to do was to connect
the reset button that the +-keyboard has. But its 25-30 years ago so... I can take a peek inside if you wish.

Board is an issue 3 from 1983. Similar to the bottom board in this link:
http://www.larwe.com/museum/zxspectrum.html

Bit of a Frankenstein post but the upgrade instructions are online... how cool is that?
ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/spectrum/technical-docs/ZXSpectrum+_UpgradeInstructions.pdf
So heres what I did. Still an Issue 3.

Last edited:
(Heres part 2 of my adventures in computers... (un)fortunately I haven't kept
the countless machines that came after the Spectrum.)

Afterwards I migrated to the Amiga 500. (I still miss D-paint)
And then various PC's. Ah the joy of trying to squeeze out enough K's
to run the Lucasarts Star Wars games. I miss those days.

After I lost the urge to play computer games I haven't really kept up with the latest hardware,
except to upgrade my work-PC when needed. I still prefer a system
where I can modify, replace and upgrade parts, so laptops have yet to enter my life.

Last edited:
I still prefer a system where I can modify, replace and upgrade parts, so laptops have yet to enter my life.
I'm with you on that. It's hard to imagine how somebody can get used to using a laptop as a main machine - but there are people who do that. They're obviously wired differently. ;)

BTW: What part of Denmark are you from? I used to live in Mørke, which is just outside Aarhus.

I'm with you on that. It's hard to imagine how somebody can get used to using a laptop as a main machine - but there are people who do that. They're obviously wired differently. ;)

BTW: What part of Denmark are you from? I used to live in Mørke, which is just outside Aarhus.

Well, I was uncorked in Aarhus in late 1967 but went to study in Copenhagen around 1989
and I'm currently living just outside Næstved. I mostly lived in the Risskov-area before that.

Were you a barber by any chance? But you always wanted to be... a lumberjack! ? ;o)

Last edited:
Well, I was uncorked in Aarhus but went to study in Copenhagen and I'm currently living just outside Næstved.
I mostly lived in the Risskov-area before that.

Were you a barber by any chance? But you always wanted to be... a lumberjack! ? ;o)

I had some friends in Risskov, and my grandparents are from Viby. I spent some time in Aarhus in the late 60's when I had (very) long hair. Funny you should ask, but it is only a few years ago that I moved to a logging and resource area - and my hair is long again. Ha! Anyway, I came to Canada in 1957 but maintain my Danish language fairly well - something about the wiring. ;) I love the international flavour of this forum.

Totally offtopic by now but my granddad was actually a barber. (barbermester)
He worked at the army barracks in Aarhus when I was a kid and "Telegrafregimentet" was still stationed there.
This legacy has served me well when trimming my evergreen thuja-tree with handshears.

Btw. if anyone is puzzled about the lumberjack, BC and barber references this might enlighten:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE
Although I imagine most would get it. Else theres always Star Trek-references. ;o)

Last edited:
Back