• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hoarding

Darshevo

Experienced Member
I've always had a go big or go home mentality. Last summer I started collecting console based video game stuff, now I have nearly an entire room of my home dedicated to it. About mid way through that I started dabbling in old computer stuff (commodore/amiga/apple ii type stuff) which led me inevitably here. After hours of reading the forums my horizons expanded and suddenly I find myself collecting 486 and older stuff. Then its Kaypros and Osbornes. A DEC 11/23+. Various incarnations of Macintosh and PPC stuff that I didn't even like when it was new.

I started out small. CL, local recyclers, word of mouth. It gained me a system here and a system there.

Unfortunately as I got more deeply involved with the recyclers 2 things happened. 1. I found I could trade newer stuff for old. Now I am paying virtually nothing for crappy, no name, probably never be worth a dime to anyone but me 286's, MAC LC's, 486sx's, etc. all of this because of 2. Once the vintage computing monkey ended up on my back I started looking for better outlets to hopefully find more obscure older stuff. Now I find myself buying lots of 20 pallets at a time because there is a couple (like literally 2 or 3 items) in the lot I want to add to my collection.

Obviously this puts me in a position to liquidate a ton of not vintage equipment. My 'collection' that was 10's of pieces is in a constant flux with my new business venture as a recycler with 100's of pieces in and out of my shop and flatbed on a weekly basis. I fix what I can of the P4's and sell them cheap, the rest get stripped and go to an ewaste outlet that (supposedly) is mandated by the state to see to it that they don't end up in a swamp or the bottom of the ocean.

Hoarding: I probably have stripped out 100 Gateway P3 866 this week alone. At what point does a person have to stop putting the 10,15,20 GB hard drives, TX100 network cards, PCI sound cards, super low memory VGA cards, etc on the shelf?

I am in this deep now. I basically am the goto guy for schools, businesses, etc that want to see that there cast off tech is either reintegrated to society or properly salvaged (I even pull mobo batteries because I don't trust the last person in the chain to see them properly handled)

As a side note, recycling computers is not my business, altho it quickly is becoming so. Between my regular scrap business and the computer sideline I don't know which end is up most days. Seems like everytime I blink 2 days have gone by.

Surely many of you have found yourself here, what did you do?

-Lance

Oh dear. I do in some way find myself in your position, but not at all on the same scale. I have one room and one storage room dedicated to vintage gear, but I try hard only to keep what is unusual and fun.

It seems you need to make a business decision, which end of you scrapping business is making most money for the least effort?

As for keeping semi-old hardware on the shelf, well that is a hard one to answer. Maybe someone, someday will be in desperate need for a 10GB IDE disk... but that does not mean you should keep every disk you ever see.

Lastly, it seems like your doing a good deed, environmentally speaking. Not like those gangsters sinking ships in the Mediterranean.

A bit of the same boat here. Nowhere the scale you're talking about-- I might have a person bring in a truckload a week, maybe less.

I agree with pontus, time to make a decision; what does best with the least effort involved? Nice what you're doing for saving the environment, too. Glad to know someone out there is thinking with thought to the future.

To get some of that stuff gone that's still serviceable start a bare bones webpage like Bravo Sierra has, just a listing, and let people pick and choose-- though it may mean doing more packing and shipping, so more time.

Curious, what are you doing to move the multiples of items out? I'd liek to know (I could use some advice on that).

From a collecting standpoint I think you are better off not recycling since it will take all your time (and space) and leave you with little for the hobby.

I get offered things all the time and have to say no, but I keep poking around places because I find the gems I want.

The day I need a shop/storageunit to store my collection is the day I start disposing of it. Still even when I just use the basement for a lab I think I have too much stuff and spares as is. Atleast the rest of the house is computer free.

I have no idea how well off you are at your normal job, but there isn't much to be made recycling computers (if you have an obsesion with computers, you save too much stuff). You need to look at them as if they were worthless junk and dispose of them in a profitable manner.

There seem to be a few people who can buy up lots of equipment for the few things they want and then dispose of the rest at a profit, pays for their hobby. I tend to keep what I get and anything broken gets repaird so it is a cash negetive hobby (but cheap since I try not to grab things I don't need).

You will know you're a Hoarder if I see you on the program Hoarders.

I think about everyone who has a hobby has to hoard some related items.

You will know you're a Hoarder if I see you on the program Hoarders.

I think about everyone who has a hobby has to hoard some related items.
I read about that show... looks interesting. I'll watch out for a computer-related episode!!

How do you get known as the local "computer guy"? I've been trying, with no success. What outlets do you use, how to you approach them, post or PM me with you're methods!

Well, first off, the term hoarding when applied to "hoarders" generally means collecting mass amounts of things, often many duplicates, which you seem to think will be useful in the future but in actuality will not be.

That and/or an emotional attachment to stuff and an inability to let go of it, regardless of usefulness/uselessness.

I can easily see how one could hoard vintage electronics; it's a niche market with "rather few" interested people and as a result we all have this tendency to "set x aside for someone in the future who will almost certainly want it, because it will be trashed if I don't set it aside for them".

It's difficult to argue with that logic because it's 100% true.
It's also 100% impractical unless you happened to end up with one of those closed auto plants in your name.

One could say I had the beginnings of a hoarding problem, though like the majority of hoarders I didn't view it as a problem. Given that I'm now attempting to fast-track getting rid of the 'extras' I don't want or need, I'd say the problem is 'resolved' and now a non-issue.

I set somewhat of a goal for what equipment I want to have around as far as technology goes:

-My main computers (desktop, laptop, and peripherals associated with them)
-One or two 'vintage' x86 systems (currently fulfilled; PS/2 56 SX and 30-286)
-Eventually finding an actual IBM XT and adding it to the above (after which, no more systems, period)
-Some replacement hardware for the above systems
-Some project hardware on the side (for example I have a "Windows 98 gaming rig" that I purpose built just for that...it's fun to try to squeeze as much as I can out of a Socket 7 mobo. Also have an XT clone mobo I'm tinkering with, and a Socket 7 board I build up on a tray table when I need to test a given piece of hardware or build a quick DOS system)
-Preferably one "alternate platform" machine, in this case a Mac LC 580.

Anything not fitting into the above which I currently have is on the "chopping block". Broken stuff (there's a decent amount) is in a ready-to-go pile awaiting someone locally who can help me for free or close to it. Believed to be working hardware is going for sale here and on local classifieds.

While I realize this is nowhere near the extent of collecting that many people here are at, bear in mind I'm 19 and don't have any money to throw at the hobby. It's easy to see how disaster could happen if I hadn't decided to get rid of a lot of stuff or if I'd had a lot of money all along.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

lol, you're still *trying* to get that hoarding problem he has.

I'm interested in this too.. and geesh.. help me if they have a computer episode. I'll have to plan a family vacation so nobody catches that episode or I'll never hear the end of it.

I think the anti-hoarding method (not 100% sure as I'm getting to be overcrowded in several rooms (this is partially from being a bachelor/collector to having a family and needing to clear out rooms I was storing stuff in)) is making sure what you have works. I did make that decision, if it doesn't work and I can't (or don't have time to fix it) pass on it or sell it. I've been almost good about this although admittedly I've grabbed a large amount of as-is machines and haven't had time to test them.

The other is limit your collection to something significant to yourself. Like a lot of folks have stated in the past I made the somewhat mistake of taking anything, as well as a lot of "that's neat.." purchases of things that were semi-cheap to play with. Fortunately it hasn't cost me a lot per item but storing it and finding parts for things adds up quickly. I kind of told myself I'd only collect historically significant systems. I seem to break that once and a while and that's where I get myself in trouble. So many systems are so cool and I want to see but where would it ever end? So I really have to limit what I do pick up.. though again.. I'm not solid on that and do end up with some systems that I find randomly.

If you have a specific vendor to collect that's awesome too.. you can limit yourself that way but I would recommend not going overboard with trying to find every revision of everything made, that's another impossible feat.

As Unknown_k pointed out if he needs a storage unit he has too much. That's pretty healthy and i think I'm past that and still trying to figure out what to do. I'm getting ready (note: ready = when I get to it) to probably offload/sell some (all?) of my duplicates since that's not something I've wanted. I like having stuff but I don't want to hoard or take it away from others that could use it and help keep the history alive. I'm not sure I can justify giving it away but at least I pick stuff up for cheap sometimes and could sell it for that as well to another collector.

Is your concern the money you're putting in or the items you're acquiring? I would think you could just as likely "donate" your extra lot items back to Goodwill and it would likely end up on a lot again. Or I'd guess ebay with low/no reserve you'd get $10 per system and maybe recoupe some costs.

lol, you're still *trying* to get that hoarding problem he has.

If that's directed at me, certainly not - I currently have far more than the goal and am getting rid of stuff except for the bit about an XT; that's the one thing I still intend to bring in.

Though, if someone presents me with a PS/2 25 or an Eduquest, I'd take it, despite it violating the goals. They're compact enough to not be intrusive and I've wanted one for a while.

Each of us has their own circumstances.The compulsion to "Hoard" can be used to a profitable end.(Hoard Gold,Jewels and the like)What we as Vintage PC enthusiasts do is a twofold behavior.First,we are preservationists of a quickly disappearing resource.Second,we are hobbyists exploring the old technologies that brought us to the world we have today(Both Good and Bad).
What we do is just as valid as any hobbyist of any type.
How we do it can be problematical.This stuff is not small and easily stored.
To "Hoard" successfully can require a LOT of space and you never have "Enough".It can be a problem if left unregulated.
Kishy has a handle on it.He is regulated by his income and space availability.I'm limited by my garage's storage cabinet space.I "Want" more,but critical mass can approach at suprising speed.
It's a compulsion that can be controlled,but it's VERY hard.

cgrape2

I kinda wonder that. Hoarding I think is only defined when you don't have enough space or it's overcrowding normal/practical living. So ok I'm still partially there lol.. but say you have a warehouse and space for all of it is it still hoarding?

That term hoarder wasn't quite there when I decided not to packrat vs collect. That's where my "everything working" requirement came in and later the historical significance of the piece. Maybe just justification for myself.

It still seems though any collecting could be confused with hoarding but I know the extremes like that show is implying that one hoards or cannot dispose of anything. That's when you're stepping over daily news papers from the last 20 years and magazines and old cups. I think stepping over a computer is much more acceptable ;-) (ok I've only had it that bad once in a blue moon but that was transitioning the hardware from one location to test and then put somewhere else).

I do sometimes wonder whether encouraging collecting is encouraging the right behavior as well though.

Sell your surplus on ebay. Scrap CPU's are selling well these days. Even bails of old motherboards are moving. Boxes of memory too. The cards, just sell in mixed lots. Sell most everything in sets or lot sales. Otherwise, set aside an area to hold scrap for the future. Gold is moving higher and eventually, when the economy picks up and prices rise again, you will make out nicely.

If it's just starting to become vintage, try stacking items in your attic, in bags, out of the way and leave them for years. They don't take up much space and will gain value with age. If you had room for 100 old systems and held on to them for say ten years, they might be worth $500.00 each. That's a nice nest egg for the future.

I've found keeping to a wanted "list of notables" is a good thing. It's helps me avoid buying computers I've seen going for a song.

My interest is in historical preservation of a limited number of classic models. I look to keep these machines working and stay well cared for until I have the time and money to display them (when I retire probably). I've found being required to fix these things occasionally has taught me a lot about electronics, which is a satisfying aspect of the hobby I hadn't considered initially.

Anything later than a 486 I'm not interested in and will not take, even if it is offered for free. However, it's hard to say no to any model earlier than that people might give me, even if those machines are not on the list. This means I've ended up with more models than I intended/

So far the activity is managable and doesn't take up too much space.

Tez

Find your local ham radio operators and spread the word that you have cheap systems.

They want systems that are cheap, work, and have serial ports. If you can fulfill those things then you should be able to move a few systems that way. Tell 'em you'll ship and they'll spread the word to their buddies all around.

Other places: flea markets and swapmeets. If you can put together computers for under $75 then you'll sell them like crazy. If the OS is old, put Opera on it. Hell, I have Opera running just fine (latest version!) on my kid's old Compaq laptop with Windows ME.

RJ

Excellent replies all. I should note that money isn't a huge issue as I am getting the stuff relatively cheap to begin with and am able to fix and sell several P4 types out of each lot which covers my expenses plus a little for my time. I did after the first couple loads become relatively picky on what I would fix. I will spend a few minutes with a P4 2.0+ in a black case before it goes to the strip pile. Anything from the early P4's or in a white case is stripped instantly if it doesn't post (mainly from a sellability standpoint. A crappy machine in a black case will sell like hotcakes :) )

Spacewise I am working with 2 buildings both of about 1200 sq ft. One that is weathertight, the other more of a shed. Space will probably be the final factor in what I can actually keep (Ya, that P3 case sure is cool, but so are the other 20 I have in the project pile)

I think I am going to try the advice of setting up a small ecom website and use it as both a sales outlet and an online DB of what I have in stock. For the items I seem to come into extreme contact with (10 and 20GB hard drives for instance) I will try the no reserve ebay trick. Maybe like 9.95 + shipping for a flat rate box full of them. I do sell some pieces on CL, but really prefer not to deal with people if I can avoid it, particularly for a $5.00 item.

For my personal collection (The items that are genuinely not for sale) I think I have formulated a plan to keep the Commodore stuff (its always been my 'vintage computer' manufacturer of choice) and then concentrate on the more obscure stuff (Kaypro, DEC, Osborne). There really is no reason for me to have Apple IIc/e/+ etc as those computers were built in such bulk (much like the common Commodores) that the prices will never be completely out of reason. I get a wild hair one day to play with a IIc its just a matter of a few bucks on ebay and one is on the way, probably that day.

-Lance

I personally would love to do what your describing. If I could work out how to make it pay all the bills then it be great.

I think, however, there is way too much competition in my area to really turn it into a living.

Sell your surplus on ebay. Scrap CPU's are selling well these days. Even bails of old motherboards are moving. Boxes of memory too. The cards, just sell in mixed lots. Sell most everything in sets or lot sales. Otherwise, set aside an area to hold scrap for the future. Gold is moving higher and eventually, when the economy picks up and prices rise again, you will make out nicely.

If it's just starting to become vintage, try stacking items in your attic, in bags, out of the way and leave them for years. They don't take up much space and will gain value with age. If you had room for 100 old systems and held on to them for say ten years, they might be worth $500.00 each. That's a nice nest egg for the future.

The problem with "just starting to become vintage"...

With 486 and later hardware, it was made in pretty large quantities. There were many brands all selling "nothing special"-type hardware...as a result, you can find this stuff any which way you turn.

I am hesitant to cling onto Socket 7 boards for this reason. While I can certainly find a bundle of them, probably for free, there's no guarantee they'll ever be treasured by anyone. The original PC is collectable and valuable because it is unique. There is nothing unique about a generic baby AT form factor motherboard, which makes me wonder if the same "once it gets old and rare it will be valuable" system applies to stuff from the 90s and up.

Edit: assuming this site stays up for, say, 20 years...it would be interesting to see what sort of people in the future end up reading the paragraph above thinking "omfg what an idiot, of course we want them now!"

Sure, it'll get old, but in this case will rarity come with age like it always has before? I think we'll see a shift in that trend fairly soon where there's just too much out there to ever become rare.

One aspect that complicates things is the scrappers/recyclers.

At one time, it seemed to me that everyone (businesses, that is) was running a System/360 mainframe. Do any operational examples exist today?

Old 8-bit machines are rapidly disappearing, too.

I figure that it won't be too many more years before P1 boxes are as rare as 286 boxes are today.

One thing that determines if a system goes for scrap or stays around is its utility. For most people, P1 and 486 systems stopped being useful when support for Windows 9x (95, 98, ME) was discontinued. What with free electronics recycling and (at least in my area) volunteers who will come to your doorstep to pick up old gear, not many people will hang onto these things. I figure that the best chance of preserving these things is to remake them into pieces of fine furniture.

CRT monitors will probably be very difficult to find in 20 years.

Not that I'm going to start collecting them... :)

CGA monitors are going to be hard to find since they break down after a while and people are tossing CRT's away these days (before they have to pay big recycling fees).

Back