• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how bad are you with leaving browser tabs open?

Im one of few people here whio doesn't use to many...
i cap at 10... and thats when im emailing, working, researching, ebaying
the whole 9 yards.

On an average night its.
- games - ebay - this forum - atari forum - google -

My Firefox working environment consists of 16 windows. The one with the fewest tabs in it has 4 tabs.The one with the most in have 17 tabs. How do I find out how many tabs Firefox has open in total?
Opera is easier, only one window and 19 tabs (Yes, I use both Firefox and Opera).

I just hit the practical limits on having tabs open. My Opera session is using about 2 GB of RAM and tabs can't be switched to. Yay, for 32bit software that only implements a single process under Windows.
There are about 300 active tabs.

Wait, 300? Not 30? 300? Why?

I have 2 open normally, gmail and whatever site. Sometimes I get up to 10, but not for very long. I don't know how you guys do it.

I have tons of tabs open at all times. In addition I have lots of windows open, in lots of virtual desktops, each window with a number of open tabs. That is, among other reasons, because I usually go back to office after hours and walk through my non-work-related forums and the like. I have long since given up keeping interesting stuff in bookmarks, the number of bookmarks are just too vast. And I don't remember enough of the right keywords to find the interesting page again later.

I don't generally use tabs because I can't get them to work properly - all the pages end up the same size for some reason, making the concept useless in my mind. Regardless of that, I admit that Ctrl-tab isn't that different from Alt-tab, but the Alt fits my hand better since my thumb sticks out the side.

Anyway, I'm basically with you Tor. I've got windows from ages ago, and I flip between them at speed. With a pile of desktops I see "my web" as a grid of desktops on one dimension and windows in the other. And of course one desktop has a deep stack of terminals containing different current writing projects and connections to other computers. It's the only way to go.

Wait, 300? Not 30? 300? Why?

I have 2 open normally, gmail and whatever site. Sometimes I get up to 10, but not for very long. I don't know how you guys do it.

I find I often check something like 100 web sites every month so I just leave a tab for each and every time I launch Opera all those web sites get checked for updates. This saves me from having to hunt through reams of bookmarks to check sites directly. Now, I have to do some pruning because it exceeds the limits Opera was designed for. I gave one web site about 20 duplicate tabs between the various Opera windows. Mistake.

My IE session usually averages about 6 tabs open at a time though more will happen if a web page has multiple interesting links. I will create a new tab for each topic I plan on reading here here. I don't like navigating backwards and trying to remember which other topics I wanted to see. Sometimes the topics vanish when I hit the back button.

Have you considered using one of the many automatic notification services, such as Change Detection?

I suppose you could also set up a script to run wget on each web page you're looking at, checksum it and compare with earlier checksums...

I'm pretty obsessed with closing a tab that's not being used so I will open maybe a dozen or so tabs when I'm researching something but when I'm done with that I close all but one or 2 tabs. I use FF with the Bookmarks Toolbar and have all my bookmarks in folders across the browser. I can find any of my bookmarks quickly that way so I don't need to leave a tab open on a particular site since I can get to that site again with a couple of clicks.

Chuck(G), all of that takes extra effort.. krebizfan just lets Opera do it in one go, with no setup required. Zero effort, outside of finding the page in the first place. The negative side is that you won't see updates until you flip through the actual tab. But maybe you don't need to see updates all the time.

For myself I have about 6-8 sites in my RSS feed, the rest I only look at for updates when I get back to that particular part of my virtual extended workspace where that tab or window is needed. Forums don't work in RSS feeds anyway (they will only show new topics, not ongoing updates), so those I'll have to circle through daily/semi-daily on a manual basis.

-Tor

When you REALLY get into trying to fix a problem, finding answers, or researching to fix the problem, the tab control kind of gets away from you. I just hit a new record of 25, trying to fix problems on seven different laptops.

Using Firefox 6, usually no more than a couple of dozen at most. For those I want to look at later, I use the "group your tabs" option.

Currently got 34 on my virtual desktop. Plus a few on the netbook. And probably another 30 at least on the work PC.

This is from AFTER I went through and closed a bunch of tabs I have given up on returning to:

delm9w.jpg

I took this screenshot earlier for another reason, so it's handy that I had a reason to show it again. :p There seems to be a bug in Aminet and it reports only 666 downloads on my old Halloween Nightmare game demo, yet it has over 700 downloads when you visit the info page. Anyway, sorry for rambling but yeah, my mind is a mess of things to keep track of, forum posts and private messages I have to get back to, that's what I leave open as well as auctions and things.

Attachments

• HalloweenNightmareDownloads1.jpg
    HalloweenNightmareDownloads1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1
Back