• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do YOU flip a dip switch?

For the awl, placing metal inside the case makes me a little nervous (such as if you're hands aren't all that steady - I'm not quite there yet, but the day's coming I'm sure)
Normally, these switches are flicked with power off, so I presume that you are worried about scratching something. I use an very old threading awl [example], the end blunted over many years of use.

If its the ones with the little knurled bit that slides or the rocker ones that sit proud, then its fingernails every time.

If its the recessed ones, then its what ever I can lay my hands on, pen, screwdriver, paperclip, nail, random twig, anything. When your out on plant and need a DIP switch changing, Im not walking all the way back to the office and there is always something lying about that can be adapted.

Doesn't happen much anymore though, ah to be back 'on the tools' :)

Given a choice, I'll take a 0.1" header with jumper blocks every time. If it's a 3-row header, then you can do SPDT things that a DIP switch cannot easily do. I've run into bad (i.e. intermittent) DIP switches from time to time. I don't like them.

Small screwdriver most often. The slide type can often be worked with a fingernail.

I wish the switches all went the same direction for "on". Some have "ON" on the right, some on the left, doesn't seem be matter if it a rocker or a toggle. More so on vintage switches.

Back