• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How far do you go to say a collection is complete?

RizThomas

Experienced Member
I have been collecting vintage computers but most of it seems to center on the main CPU / drive case but there are computers that have their matching monitors, keyboards, mouse and speakers, etc.
Examples:
IBM 51xx with matching monitor and keyboard
Apple Macs, Imacs, etc.
Amiga with monitors, external drives.

So my question is, How far does someone collect to call it a collection?. In some cases, once I got the model to work ( and due to the absence of other matching monitors or keyboards), I regard it now as one collection.

Comments? Opinions?

I guess it depends entirely on the collector. In years gone by I use to categorize the 5150 to 5170 series as System/1 and for that the collection was complete when I had everything I could get my hands on; not just complete systems but the peripherals and accessories that went with it.

Today, due to circumstances and storage constraints it is much simpler, I have a 5150 and I have most of the options for that and now just look for IBM & IBM branded software that will go with it.

In my case (and due to basically non-existence locally unless go for ebay, and due to govt's recycle program --vintage electronics are gettting hard to get), once I get the main system to work, I put it aside as 1 model collection. I also have a limit on my budget so I am basically a hobbyist..not a collector...

Collection to me means some type of grouping or logic in what you snag. Specific era's of machines or brands and the software and manuals to use them. My collection will never be complete mostly because I will not pay market values for the rarer items I want, and I collect a few different types on gear (PC, analog video editing, Amiga , Mac, Commodore, Tandy, Etc).

I'd call it a collection from the very first piece and even if that is just one screw or piece of plastic. What makes it a collection is the will to get MORE. hahaha. And then it never ends...

when the thing in question you're calling a "collection" could have been purchased more or less that day, new. Most people bought less expensive parts to complete a computer system for budget reasons. For example hardly anyone bought an IBM XT also bought all IBM expansion parts, they'd also buy a AST Six Pack or something cheaper that same day to get more for the money.

When on the other hand you try to say a 1995 system with a 2009 monitor is a "collection" is pushng it.

One other thing...the collection has to make some sense. You can add new parts such as a Commodore iUEC drive to replace a 1541 drive and still call that a "collection" because the new part is specifically made for it.

Some people try to return a machine back to its original out-of-the-box condition and remove all of the upgrades that had been made while the person owned and used it. Some say keep it as is, preserve history. Forgetting about the selling value of the thing, I think both approaches are fair game. One test would be that you have to do a lot of explaining as to why something is or is not a collection. If it's not easy to justify to the average collector perhaps you have more work to do. Over time your definition will change. Maybe it's a simple as whether you're happy with it or not.

...the collection has to make some sense.

Good point. There has to be a theme that ties everything in. This can be as simple as your items are representative of their era, or as expansive as every manufacturing variant of a specific model. For example, during the lifespan of the C-64, it went through several revisions to the motherboard and with the power supply. You can easily build a collection based on production changes or variations made for sales on each country.

Back