• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Howdy from Portland

nblsavage

Experienced Member
I ran in to this forum while looking up info about my latest acquisition (an Osborne Executive)
I've got a few other vintage machines - Apple II, Apple II+ (has issues) C64C, C128. Nice to see people who are as insane as I am :)

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum and, yes, I think "insane" would be an appropriate word.

Some more so than others :)

BTW, what issues does your II+ have? There are those of us that might be able to help.

nblsavage

Experienced Member
Welcome to the forum and, yes, I think "insane" would be an appropriate word.

Some more so than others :)

BTW, what issues does your II+ have? There are those of us that might be able to help.

Well, it seems to work fine until I try to load a game, then I wind up with garbled characters, and a locked up machine. I'm also currently waiting on a new disk drive for the Apple since I let the magic smoke out of my old drive after rigging a homemade cable.

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Ok, since games use a lot more memory than being in monitor mode or programming, I'd guess that there may be a bad RAM chip in the second or third bank of memory (or a flaky socket).

Try swapping the chips from bank 2 with bank 1 (one at a time) and, if you don't get garbage on the screen at power-up, then swap bank 3 for bank 1 (same procedure).

If you do get garbage, the last chip you swapped into bank 1 is the culprit and you'll need a 16K x 1 RAM chip to replace it.

Then you do the whole thing over again in case there is a second bad chip.

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
I ran in to this forum while looking up info about my latest acquisition (an Osborne Executive)
I've got a few other vintage machines - Apple II, Apple II+ (has issues) C64C, C128. Nice to see people who are as insane as I am :)

Yay! Another Portlander!

Wait... Did you mean Oregon or Maine? (Or one of those other ones, even, I suppose...)

If you mean Oregon, then I'd be happy to send an Apple II floppy drive your way. I'm in the middle of a basement remodel; and when it's done, I'm going to be paring down my collection a little. I know I've got at least half a dozen Apple II floppy drives, so I can part with one or two.

nblsavage

Experienced Member
Yay! Another Portlander!

Wait... Did you mean Oregon or Maine? (Or one of those other ones, even, I suppose...)

If you mean Oregon, then I'd be happy to send an Apple II floppy drive your way. I'm in the middle of a basement remodel; and when it's done, I'm going to be paring down my collection a little. I know I've got at least half a dozen Apple II floppy drives, so I can part with one or two.

Yep, I meant Oregon :) I finally did get a working Disk II but I wouldn't mind having a 2nd one. Nice to see you on here also :)