• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I am putting the CART before the HORSE! ie 300kg of 1960's Computer Hardware.

I doubt that it's magnetic storage of any sort. Too bad the front view from the 2007 photos is so fuzzy--one might be able to read some of the legends on the connectors and panels.

I doubt that it's magnetic storage of any sort. Too bad the front view from the 2007 photos is so fuzzy--one might be able to read some of the legends on the connectors and panels.

Chuck I hate to be the bearer of the lion's into the room.

Seller just sent me this pic.

8noaK3x.jpg

Edited and added much higher resolution pic seller just sent me
so below text is not as applicable
I am trying a few image programs to get more clarity to the numbers.
I asked for clearer pic or confirmation the data on plate. But this was just taken today

I can read
Magnetic Recorder
model MR-608A maybe
s/n 57-87?

maker
?RESSER SIE or STE Inc
Houston Texas

seller vagely recalls there is a connection from this to the Mini/Main frame. Only time will tell when I extract it to my place etc.

Last edited:
From what I can make out the machine appears to be able to read a Seismic graph paper that is placed around the large 12" long drum, and converts it in an analog signal then digital signal thats then written to the magnetic disks in the cluster groups on the RH end of the long shaft.

From then it connects to something like a pdp8

This pic is close up of the LH end

h3bJM34.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect that both machines are analog drum recorders. The larger drum would be used to print a graph of the signal recorded on the multiple heads. It may have been connected to a mini or such but that may have been to digitize and analyse the recorded signal.
The SIE is most likely Seismographic Imaging Equipment. I'd guess it was used for recording multiple sensors for things like oil exploration, with tomography. The multiple heads would record each signal and then the computer would do the calculations. The larger drum would be to make the paper images for the mining engineers to look at. That would also fit with being made in Texas.

Some more evidence:
https://d28rz98at9flks.cloudfront.net/11388/Rec1964_132.pdf
Look at the list of manufactures.
Dwight

Last edited:
It seems not a storage device per se. I was wondering if the drum might be a chart recorder--apparently so. That would fit in with the very simple electronics.

So if you haul it back, what the heck are you going to do with it?

It seems not a storage device per se. I was wondering if the drum might be a chart recorder--apparently so. That would fit in with the very simple electronics.

I'd think the two narrow drums on the left are the magnetic recording material.
Dwight

Yup--reminds me of the old Dictaphone-style audio recorders with their magnetic belts, Dictabelts

I suspect the belts on this unit are far past rehabilitation. I'd put the vintage of this thing somewhere in the late 50s.

I recall seeing someplace on the web were you can mix up the chemical brew and make your own paper for these things( I mean the printing part ).
It most likely uses the electrical discharge for the printing part.
Dwight

Used to be called something like "electrographic paper", but this may be single-pen plain-paper, based on the second sample. Hard to say.

I see the edge of a printed circuit board wedged under the drum, as well as the header for what looks like some ribbon cable. Probably has nothing to do with the unit.

I suspect that both machines are analog drum recorders. The larger drum would be used to print a graph of the signal recorded on the multiple heads. It may have been connected to a mini or such but that may have been to digitize and analyse the recorded signal.
The SIE is most likely Seismographic Imaging Equipment. I'd guess it was used for recording multiple sensors for things like oil exploration, with tomography. The multiple heads would record each signal and then the computer would do the calculations. The larger drum would be to make the paper images for the mining engineers to look at. That would also fit with being made in Texas.

Some more evidence:
https://d28rz98at9flks.cloudfront.net/11388/Rec1964_132.pdf
Look at the list of manufactures.
Dwight

Thanks Dwight,

that is a VERY informative article.

Certainly sets the stage for better understanding this item.

To answer your question "What the heck are you going to do with it?"

Simple answers

a. The prime reason to get it is to SAVE it from being Scrapped.

If I have to put it in some storage facility then so be it. However, I am trying to negotiate it going for 'extended loan' to a Technology Museum in Sydney or Melbourne.

I don't have space at home nor really wish to bring in another item that I cannot move with 2 hands-arms. As you may recall I am trying to downsize all heavy iron

b. I would, however, like to explore it, photograph and document it, as hopefully get it to run somewhat.

c. Maybe use it as a STEM learning experience for the younger generation (on the assumption that they wish to learn from grass root technology)

d. It would be quite interesting to see if it could be connected to my EAI TR-20 Analog Computer and what it may do in conjunction with it.
So, in that case, it may end up coming home, but staying in an enclosed trailer parked alongside my Bungalow-Computer room

Last edited:
Update.

I spoke to seller on phone today. Its still mine, and as yet no urgent pressure to pick it up.

However, I don't want to leave it there more than a few longer so

a. I still need to save /raise the remaining Aus$150 to pay the balance.
b. Save/ raise about $340 for petrol to drive up and back to get it.
c. A minor issue is I still need to empty my 6ftx4ft trailer to tow up to bring it back on.

So question whom here is in Sydney and can assist me in getting it from Gosford at least to their place to start.

Well quick update.

I have still not raises the funds to pick it up. SIGH.

And have not had any contact with fellow VCFED member or like in Sydney Australia that might be able to help.

Maybe I try some crowd funding to get fuel money and go myself

Latest update,

its SAFELY in 'our' hands and in undercover storage.

No longer at risk from sellers wife wanting it gone now, and gone would have meant scrap metal recycler.

It was picked up from Seller place last weekend by a helpful 'group' from Sydney arranged by John Geremin.

I have not seen it yet, that will happen in New Year.

And I have no need to get it to my place in Melbourne as I have nowhere undercover to put it.

Long term, I am really not sure if I will keep it, as its big and heavy and reality is I am downsizing.

But I do want to work on it!!! I love hardware this old and its very interesting.

John is going to send me some pics over the coming days.

Seller told me he had removed and thrown out the power supply as the caps were leaking. Nooooooooooo.. Why he just didnot photo it and
remove offending caps, since he had kept the rest of machine.

Anyways, now come the hunt for more info on it or any similar, and if any docs exist ?

Plus what was it input taken from? What sort of sensors?

Goal is to get it to run.

Are there any others, working or static left in the World?

Appears that Sience Museum Group in UK have the following SIE Unit, but no photo on line

SIE PMR 20 Magnetic recording system, consisting of: Master Unit MU 20K, 22x62x28 cm; Magnetic Recorder MR 20, 22x62x38 cm. By Dresser-Sie Inc., 1966

Back