• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 330 6571 conversion to 6573 ie replacing VL-ISA riser with PCI-ISA riser.

Oldcoder

I have a 330 DX2-66 - 6571 which has the 3 slot VL-ISA riser. I would like to convert it to a 6573 ie replace the riser with the 3 slot PCI-ISA riser.

There appear to be a number of different 3 slot IBM riser cards. Which is the correct one and are there any other changes needed?

Thanks

Peter

Unless you know for a fact that both the 330-6571 and 330-6573 use the same logic board, I wouldn't even try to swap the riser boards between them. There was never a standard for LPX riser boards, even within the same manufacturer. Riser boards could use the exact same connector(s) and have a completely different pinout and lead to serious damage if plugged into the wrong board.

The 486 was really too slow to utilize PCI properly anyway, coupled with the odd bus speeds of 25, 40 and 50 MHz, it could lead to erratic PCI card behavior.

There were shared risers with the "ValuePoint" series - I remember that the VLB riser was close to a 1:1 connection from the motherboard, but one version had a PCI bridge chip to convert to a few PCI slots. Let me look at what I have.

Actually, the PC-330 was a part of the "Select-A-Bus" Series. It had 2 jumpers next to the Riser board socket for changing it to PCI. I wish I still had mine, my 6571-W5K DX4-100 was a mighty beast that count run bloody anything I threw at it, even Windows 2000 Pro.

I recall seeing those jumpers marked as such on the sticker inside the case, if not there, I think there was also an IBM Service Manual for that model referencing such as well. The slots need to match though.

Still amazing PC.

Back