• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Atarisoft compatibility

DarthKur

Experienced Member
I recently acquired three IBM version Atarisoft games in still sealed condition. Amazingly there seem to be an awful lot of these circulating as of late and not just for IBM but other systems. Anyways, the titles are Jungle Hunt, Moon Patrol and Gremlins. Now sadly I still don't have a working 5150 or 5160 and it's beginning to look like I never will because everyone seems to want Ebay prices for everything these days and that's on top of the monstrous shipping amounts, but I digress. What I do possess is a Leading Edge pc and an IBM PCjr. Neither one of which seems to be fully compatible with both hardware and software made for IBM PC's. Now it's a well known fact the the Jr has it's issues with certain items but I was hoping the LE would be a bit better.
Jungle Hunt won't load on the Jr at all. It will on the LE but the graphics are all wrong. It seems that there's about half of them missing. The game will play but the unclear graphics make it difficult and unpleasant. Both Moon Patrol and Gremlins seem to play and look alright on the LE both with no joystick support. I have a joystick adapter card installed, pictured below, and have tried various controllers but to no avail. The only time I got any sort of response was with another Atarisoft game, Dig Dug, but the directions the character went were all incorrect and no amount of adjustment would work. I have two exact copies of Dig Dug and both reacted the same way on both the LE and the Jr. Moon Patrol will boot up on the Jr but when the "function" button is depressed, which is necessary in order to start the game and select the joystick option, the intro screen of the game becomes garbled and the computer locks up. Oddly enough Gremlins plays just fine. I now that Gremlins was a later release so some of the compatibility issues might have been ironed out through software patches. Gremlins is dated 1984 while the other three are all 83. Now I don't know if all three were released at the same time in 83 or if they were stepped out through the year. Logic would suggest that Jungle Hunt might have been first on account of it having the most difficulties, then Moon Patrol, workable but no stick support and then Dig Dug with faulty joystick responses. Of coarse this is all speculation and I could easily be wrong. Granted there still is no joystick control with Gremlins on the LE but it works perfect on the Jr. It seems the the joystick card is not compatible with the LE very much at all.
Has anyone else experienced these or similar problems? AM I doomed to use the keyboard for game control, which is problematic at best? At least until the unlikely chance that I find a fully functional PC or XT locally or the XT I have now, which some filthy vermin ruined, miraculously repairs itself.

I am not surprised about Jungle Hunt not working on the Jr., it really requires a true CGA card to display graphics properly and a 4.77MHz machine to show them ideally. Whether the other games work or not depends on how compatible your Leading Edge PC is with the real thing.

What's wrong with the XT?

A vile little rodent got inside it and ruined the mother board and quite possibly the floppy drive as well. There is no beep generated upon power up and no video signal is produced. If the floppy drive is connected the computer will not power up at all.
I don't possess to knowledge nor the equipment to enable any sort of specific tests. I've tried all I can with my limited ability to get it functioning. Perhaps a replacement MB and FDD would do the trick.

I am not surprised about Jungle Hunt not working on the Jr., it really requires a true CGA card to display graphics properly and a 4.77MHz machine to show them ideally. Whether the other games work or not depends on how compatible your Leading Edge PC is with the real thing.

That's very interesting. I figured it must be made different than the others. It seemed odd that specific game would react in that fashion where as the others did not.
As for the Leading Edge PC, it's fairly apparent that it is not fully compatible so I guess I'm stuck with imperfect gaming as far as IBM versions until I can either get a real IBM or the faulty XT parts replaced, if that's even an option. It might have even more problems than I realize.

Thank you for the assistance.

I can see a mouse (not vile rodent, just mouse trying to survive) damaging the floppy drive by chewing up some wires, but, I can't imagine how it would do any appreciable damage to a motherboard.

I doubt they eat traces or ICs.

If you can't find a reasonably priced xt motherboard, you might want to consider having the motherboard looked at by someone who DOES have the knowledge and equipment (and parts).

I'm sure there are several people on here that fall into that category.

I can see a mouse (not vile rodent, just mouse trying to survive) damaging the floppy drive by chewing up some wires, but, I can't imagine how it would do any appreciable damage to a motherboard.

I doubt they eat traces or ICs.

Their urine is extremely corrosive. I'm surprised you've never run into that problem before. I think cat piss is even worse (or else it just appears in greater quantities). I tend to give equipments the SniffTest (TM) whenever possible before buying. If Speedy Gonzales or Senior Gato has been there you can usually detect it.

--T

Their urine is extremely corrosive. I'm surprised you've never run into that problem before. I think cat piss is even worse (or else it just appears in greater quantities). I tend to give equipments the SniffTest (TM) whenever possible before buying. If Speedy Gonzales or Senior Gato has been there you can usually detect it.

--T

Precisely. I imagine it is exactly that in which caused the damage. Since the computer was given to me and practically hand delivered to my doorstep I didn't feel it would be appropriate to give it a thorough examination before taking possession of it. I do regret not opening the case before I initially powered it up. The filthy beast had indeed chewed through a fair amount of the ribbon cables connecting both the FDD and the HDD, destroying them, on top of shredding a piece of paper that was attached to the HDD and scattering it all over the place.
You'll have to excuse my general loathing of rodents on account of that I once resided in a place that was overrun with the disgusting creatures. Once you experience that you will never think of them as cute little cuddly creatures again.

Well, I was aware (accutely) of the damage cat urine can cause, being fairly acidic, but, not mouse urine.

Sorry, I love all animals, it's people, as a species, I can't stand. Maliciousness is a human trait, I don't think it extends much past our near primate cousins, so, a rodent is just doing what a rodent does.

That being said, I don't care if Mothra pissed on it, I could probably fix it. If you find a replacement and are going to toss the current MB, let me know and I'll pay the shipping for it.

...Sorry, I love all animals, it's people, as a species, I can't stand. Maliciousness is a human trait, I don't think it extends much past our near primate cousins, so, a rodent is just doing what a rodent does.

That being said, I don't care if Mothra pissed on it, I could probably fix it. If you find a replacement and are going to toss the current MB, let me know and I'll pay the shipping for it.

Don't get me wrong. I believe animals are usually better than most people. My best friend is an 11 year old Mini-pin named Kia, pictured below. Obviously the mouse that got in my XT wasn't being purposely malicious nor were the myriad of it's kindred in that horrid former residence of mine but their particular nature is to get into things and scavenge and general make horrible messes. That's find and dandy when they're in their own environment but not very pleasant when they are invading your living space and destroying your possessions. And yes I know we, as a species, are technically encroaching on their habitats along with all other critters living spaces but remember us bipedal, carbon based lifeforms have been around for tens of thousands of years as well. A lot longer if you count our much earlier ancestors.
Just thought I'd clarify that.
I'm still not sure what's on the agenda for my poor XT. Only time will tell.

kia.jpg

I believe I have an XT motherboard. It not an IBM but still in a Jamison box. I also still have the KB (did you acquire the computer ?). Both for the cost of shipping. To keep the monitors happy you'd better PM me.

Lawrence

Back