• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Magcard II / 82 aquired.

Ed Groenenberg

Experienced Member
Last weekend I got an IBM Mag Card II / 82 from an old lady who used it at the office where she used to work.
I looks complete and came with 3 unused, shrink wrapped IBM magnetic cards, as well as a few holders with used cards.
Also a set of correcting tapes, as well as a spare golfball were part of it.

The motor was not running, but after applying a bit of light machine oil on various places, the motor eventually started to run.
The pivot points of the keyboard fingers also got some oil, and besides 2, they move freely.

The unit it selves takes a card, but spits it out after a second or 2, so that part looks faulty.
I disconnected the power supply board from the typewriter, so the motor can run for a few hours to lubricate the gears and so on.

One major part that hels me a lot, it came with the wiring diagrams of the typewriter, the reader unit and power, nrside the original service log.photo_2024-03-13_19-18-54.jpgphoto_2024-03-13_19-18-54 (2).jpgphoto_2024-03-13_19-18-54 (3).jpgphoto_2024-03-13_21-04-58.jpgphoto_2024-03-15_11-37-41.jpg

It's funny--last week, I received an inquiry from someone with a MC/ST mag card that needed reading. I referred them to RICM, because I know they have a unit, but I don't know if it's working. Along with the MT/ST, I have little interest in the effort required to keep something like this working, so I send folks elsewhere.

Having to read one of those magnetic cards after such a long time could mean that the text could be either lost love letter,
or something else of high importance.!

I'm not sure I will be able to get my machine complete running (i.e. reading/writing the cards). If so, I consider to make the
Selectric a hard copy terminal or page printer for fancy letters.... After all, there are plenty font types available for these machines.
(it uses the Selectric I & II type ones).

In many of these cases, it's just something someone found--could be part of a collection. The card may not even have been written to.
IBM selectric gear of this era is often a mechanic's nightmare. I still have a Selectric III that I need to get running (broken motor belt). You'd think that something that fundamental would be easy to fix, but then, this is IBM...

Back