• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

IBM PC AT Dot Matrix Printer?

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
For those familliar with the IBM PC-era lineup, I'm wondering what type of IBM dot matrix printer would compliment my PC AT nicely, wether it be a lesser known or even specialty model (e.g. plotter). I have a few IBM printer models to choose from, including the popular 5152 models. Maybe someone could give me some advice? Thanks.

Jorg

Veteran Member
An early Propinter might do maybe...

When I worked with the AT (1987-1988), we had Epsons FX 80 besides the.

But good idea, I have an Oki 9 pin lying around- I now just know what to do with it :p

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I never used to use IBM brand printers. The original (an Epson MX-80, really) was a POS and soured me completely.

I had an Okidata microline 84 for the longest time. It was replaced by an HP LaserJet III. . .

Erik

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Erik,

You are wrong and your parents smelled of Elderberries!

The IBM Graphics Printer was an overpriced Epson MX-80. But man, it had the graphics chip! And it was solid. Real solid. Bone crushing solid.

Mine still works today after 20 years ... And I have one at work too just for grins. It doesn't render PostScript very well though.

Mike

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
mbbrutman said:
You are wrong and your parents smelled of Elderberries!

Oy, now the whole world will know I'm descended from Elderberry farmers! ;)

mbbrutman said:
The IBM Graphics Printer was an overpriced Epson MX-80. But man, it had the graphics chip! And it was solid. Real solid. Bone crushing solid.

Mine still works today after 20 years ... And I have one at work too just for grins. It doesn't render PostScript very well though.

It may have been solid in that it would last a long time (although I can't see how with all of the plastic gears, etc.) but it fed paper like it was broken 24/7. I literally had to be restrained from throwing one through a plate glass window once (my boss actually grabbed it out of my hands on the wind-up) because it had jammed for the 33rd time in a simple printout.

I hated Epsons for the longest time after that. . .

Not that I'd turn one down today if offered (the IBM version especially).

Erik