• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 80 (Type 8580-321)

Wow, quite complex message.

Any 387DX will work, as long as it is rated at least as fast as the 386 it supports. For a 20MHz system, any 20-40 MHz 387 will do. Though dropping a 40MHz rated 387 into a 20MHz system would work, it won't crunch numbers any faster than a 20MHz 387 :(

That decomposing black foam is a common occurence in Model 95 systems as well... It's purpose is to ride along the top of the adapters, forcing the ventilation between the adapters so as to cool them more efficiently.

The 80 is the last overpressure system in the PS/2 that I am aware of. The 90 uses a combo adapter/complex fan, but the PSU has a common outward exhausting fan. The 95 has two fans, one is the long side wall fan, it helps ventilate the adapters, and the PSU exhaust fan, which does the drives, memory, and complex.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/8580/8580_PS_01.html

Al Savage didn't use a security torx bit, but I would bet it is a T15 or a T10.

What are SLC memory boards?

*SLT.
The only onboard location on the 80's to add ram is via two proprietary slots. The more suggested option was using MCA memory boards.

I need someone able to assist with adding NICs. Other than the ancient Ungermann-Bass "Pegasus" and IIRC the 3C523, and perhaps the SMC-8003, there is a veil of confusion over how to get a better NIC to pop. Say a 3C529?
I'm out of time this morning to explain in detail so here's a video I did on my machine (with boot) a few years ago as I slip out to get to work. IT might better explain.

https://youtu.be/IHnqqg4StcY

I never knew that the Model 80 memory modules had a specific name, but I found an eBay auction that has a picture of what they looked like:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/33F5498-IBM-...170278?hash=item281b6315a6:g:8aIAAOSwZ1BXdEmm

I think the one pictured there may have been manufacturered later; I remember the modules having memory chips in square metal cans rather than the more commonly seen rectangular plastic packages. At the time it was my understanding that the ones in the square metal cans were actually made by IBM rather than being purchased from the usual DRAM suppliers everyone else used.

-ken

Yep. The square metal can packaging is almost an IBM exclusive thing they used for decades, even when they were fabbing IC's licensed from other vendors. The original name was SLT (Solid Logic Technology) but most people tend to use the name on anything with the same packaging because its IBM jargon and sounds cooler than "square metal can chips".

I see to recall those were only available from IBM in 1, 2 and 4mb capacities so the onboard max was 8mb and the rest had to be from an MCA board unless there was an aftermarket 8mb board sold.

official max without an MCA card is 4 MB (2x 2 MB) unless it's a 25 MHz model (2x 4 MB).

Ok, so the first order of business is to obtain a replacement hard drive for this beast so booting it cold isn't like trying to start an old carbureted engine with a manual choke that's stuck wide open in the dead of winter. As much as I don't want to move away from the "clickity clack" of an old mechanical hard drive, I'm considering a SCSI2SD adapter card. Does anyone have any experience with these in a Model 80 or something similar?

So I got my hands on a LAN/A adapter (the "new" version) for this machine (thanks, lutiana!). However, I don't have a free slot for it. The two slots that are on the board that match this card are both used. One is used by the SCSI controller, and the other is used by the 80386 Memory Expansion card. Can I stick the LAN/A adapter in one of the other slots similarly to how you can stick some 16-bit ISA cards in 8-bit slots?

Obviously I'd have to sacrifice the memory expansion card as sacrificing the SCSI adapter is not an option. I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it, though.

the MicroChannel spec is supposed to allow you to do this. If the card fits in the slot (even if the card has extra fingers that connect nowhere) then it should work, just without whatever feature the extra fingers provided (generally something like 32-bit transfers rather than 16-bit, or bus-master ability).

this is not a guarantee that the drivers will still work properly, but it's at least worth a try.

-ken

So I got my hands on a LAN/A adapter (the "new" version) for this machine (thanks, lutiana!). However, I don't have a free slot for it. The two slots that are on the board that match this card are both used. One is used by the SCSI controller, and the other is used by the 80386 Memory Expansion card. Can I stick the LAN/A adapter in one of the other slots similarly to how you can stick some 16-bit ISA cards in 8-bit slots?

Obviously I'd have to sacrifice the memory expansion card as sacrificing the SCSI adapter is not an option. I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it, though.

It is a bit confusing, the -321 and -121 both have three (3) 32 bit slots. Each of these 32 bit slots has the Matched Memory Extension on one end. Your 80386 Memory Expansion card will be happy in any of them.

So... You have a late LAN/A http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/NIC/LAN_A.html#LAN_Adapter/A in a 32 bit slot. The 80386 memory expansion in a 32 bit slot. One slot left, choose between SCSI or video.

If it was me, my SCSI adapter goes in a 32 bit slot. The LAN/A will fit in a 16 or 32 bit slot. Never had to deal with a 32 bit NIC in a 16 bit slot.

Your video card will go into a 16 bit slot, sorta confused, slot 6 is the AVE slot... The XGA and XGA-2 will work in a 16 bit slot, but possibly not in slot 6... The video will take longer in a 16 bit slot, but will still beat the planar VGA.

the MicroChannel spec is supposed to allow you to do this. If the card fits in the slot (even if the card has extra fingers that connect nowhere) then it should work, just without whatever feature the extra fingers provided (generally something like 32-bit transfers rather than 16-bit, or bus-master ability).

this is not a guarantee that the drivers will still work properly, but it's at least worth a try.

-ken

Thanks. I figured I'd ask before I go experimenting and accidentally blow something up. :D

It is a bit confusing, the -321 and -121 both have three (3) 32 bit slots. Each of these 32 bit slots has the Matched Memory Extension on one end. Your 80386 Memory Expansion card will be happy in any of them.

So... You have a late LAN/A http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/NIC/LAN_A.html#LAN_Adapter/A in a 32 bit slot. The 80386 memory expansion in a 32 bit slot. One slot left, choose between SCSI or video.

If it was me, my SCSI adapter goes in a 32 bit slot. The LAN/A will fit in a 16 or 32 bit slot. Never had to deal with a 32 bit NIC in a 16 bit slot.

Your video card will go into a 16 bit slot, sorta confused, slot 6 is the AVE slot... The XGA and XGA-2 will work in a 16 bit slot, but possibly not in slot 6... The video will take longer in a 16 bit slot, but will still beat the planar VGA.

Oh heyyy. I totally did not notice that slot 1 is 32 bit. I guess this is a non-issue for now. I do not have an XGA/XGA-2 card...would LOVE to get my hands on one some day (after I get a reliable hard disk setup in this thing). The planar VGA leaves much to be desired.

Thanks!

So, I'm attempting to install the LAN/A card and the system is just not taking it. It will not recognize the ADF file. I ran MCA Identification 1.1 and it identifies the card in slot 1 with id FEE6 and as "unknown". As far as I know, the LAN/A card should ID as FFE0. I tried another slot (slot 2) and there was no change. I even tried re-naming the ADF to "@FEE6.ADF" and editing the file so that the "AdapterId" reflected 0FEE6h with no luck either (though this was a long shot).

Any ideas?

Here is a snapshot of the MCA ID:

mcaid.jpg

Here is the card as a sanity check.

lana.jpg

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/config/refdisk.html#Copy_ADF

How did you copy the ADF to the options disk? You >MUST< obey the machine... Even I, god Emperor of Microchannel, must obey the machine....

Well, first I tried restoring the LAN/A Option Disk v2.2 image to floppy and then when it would prompt me for the description file I would put the disk in.

Then I tried restoring the LAN/A Option Disk v1.0 to floppy and doing the same.

Then I tried putting the ADF on a blank floppy.

Then I tried renaming the ADF and the AdapterId within the ADF to match what the MCA ID program was returning.

I will give the method you share a shot.

The LAN/A Option Disk v2.2 image is a DSK file. Do I need anything special to write this to floppy? I typically use dd on my Fedora box (dd if=ETMLAN.DSK of=/dev/sdg). However when I mount the image as well as when it restores to floppy, there is an odd file and an odd folder at the root of the disk (or image).
Selection_037.jpg

Back