• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PS/2 note N51 sx

kyracat

Hello. I have come to this forum, hoping to find someone who will offer me a fair estimate on what this item is worth. I have aquired two of these notebooks from my grandfather, and both are in working condition with all nessassary parts.

Now, I only need one of these computers, and it isn't so much a need as a want, I am willing to sell both, and have other laptops, just a bit newer, but only by a year or so.

I am rather new in the market of vintage computers, but having two identical computers, wish to sell one. But, as previously stated, I am new, and unsure of how to price such items.

I come here, hoping that someone here would be kind enough to help me.

Hello. I have come to this forum, hoping to find someone who will offer me a fair estimate on what this item is worth. I have aquired two of these notebooks from my grandfather, and both are in working condition with all nessassary parts.

Now, I only need one of these computers, and it isn't so much a need as a want, I am willing to sell both, and have other laptops, just a bit newer, but only by a year or so.

I am rather new in the market of vintage computers, but having two identical computers, wish to sell one. But, as previously stated, I am new, and unsure of how to price such items.

I come here, hoping that someone here would be kind enough to help me.
The N51SX is a 386SX-16 (a 386SLC version is the N51SLC, which mainly change the CPU for an enhanced version with 8Kb L1 cache), typically with a proprietary "DBA ESDI" HDD of 40 or 80Mb, and a maximum RAM of 16Mb. Review http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/8551/8551_Common_Devices.html for more information (Reference Diskette image, other files). You can also post to the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware for the particular affectionadios of PS/2s.

An inheirant problem with these N51 models is weak LCD mounts. For the mechanically inclined it is simple enough to get inside to slather something like JB's Cold Weld to beef them up. Even if they are uncracked it is beneficial to do it at the first opportunity.

Early IBM laptops are not as collectible as one might think. They are largely ignored on eBay, etc. I have picked up several different models in recent months for $1.00 - $10.00. Many others have ended without a bid. OTOH, I haven't seen any of your model come up lately, so YMMV.

--T

Tell me about it. I had 3 L40 SX's I took to the recycler in April - nobody wanted 'em ( at that time) all worked, all had HD's, all had extra RAM. 2 out of 3 batteries actually worked for about 45-60 min. ! A testament to the fact that IBM didn't use crap back then!!!

Tony

IBM L40SX Laptops...

IBM L40SX Laptops...

...I had 3 L40 SX's I took to the recycler in April - nobody wanted 'em ( at that time) all worked, all had HD's, all had extra RAM. 2 out of 3 batteries actually worked for about 45-60 min. ! A testament to the fact that IBM didn't use crap back then!!!
The special stock SIMMs for these vintage IBM laptops is pretty rare, but for the L40SX there is a hack using two 16Mb SIMMs to appear as 8Mb apiece just changing one trace. With that you can hit a full 18Mb (2Mb on the planar has a special EMM driver on the Ref Disk). An L40SX largely is a collection of Western Digital chipsets.

Back