• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM PS/2 w/ Monitor, Printer, Keyboard - 286

tidixon

I posted this to my local craigslist. Items are located in Metro Detroit. I would prefer local sale, but if you see anything you like let me know and I can take better photos and email you or post them up here or something.

The monitor is a model 8513001. I haven't really tested this outside of the photo of the bios output below.

The pc is an IBM PS2 Model 50Z. Type 8550. The bios explains that FF 301 162 and that it is an IBM but that it is not okay and that you should refer to the manual (see photo). I think it posts more useful info before this. It also beeps quite a bit at boot.

I do not have a floppy drive to make a boot diskette but I did find a bootable floppy with CD drivers from Western Digital that it would not boot off of.

I also do not know if the hard drive is working. It spins. It has a whopping 60MB!

I am also including a PROCOM 5.25" floppy disk drive

I am also including the original IBM keyboard

I am also including a Model II IBM Printer WITH UNOPENED RIBBON TAPE - this is very difficult to find as they are no longer in production.

I could be persuaded to throw in a vintage Kensington Expert Mouse track ball with a serial interface (made in usa), but I actually hooked that up to my desktop computer and am really enjoying using it at the moment.

I have no software disks, boxes, or anything of this kind - only the items listed here.

The price of $150 is semi-flexible, especially if you have things to barter. I am building up a new touring bicycle soon, so if you happen to share my interest in biking as well as computers then perhaps you might have a good used group set for trade? I am also looking for a newer laptop with a busted monitor to use as a semi-portable desktop, if that makes sense - so I would be willing to trade for something like that.

Shipping will probably be a lot. I'll take it to a professional shipper who will double box and ship via ups ground. I will probably ask you for a deposit on the shipping and then refund any extra. You will pay whatever the shipper charges me.

Drop me an email if you are interested. This should be a fun system to restore for whoever wants to buy it.

Everything above I am selling AS-IS. I can try to test things, also, within reason, if you are interested. Like I can plug in the keyboard and make sure it works or try the monitor on a laptop or something. I am not sure if any of my computers have a plug for the printer, so not sure if I could test it. But, I could plug it in and turn it on and tell you what happens. Anyways, you get the idea.

A model 50Z, in working condition, sells for -+ $20.

If the keyboard is a Model M, you'd have better luck parting out the system and selling the keyboard on its own (they sell for $20 ~ $50 depending on conditions).

Seeing how this is a non-working system, and shipping would be a lot, parting it out and eBay'ing it might help you get the most $ for the system. I don't think it would be anywhere near $150, though.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice eddie. how do you feel about the printer? I was not able to find any records of prior sales. I think the ribbon I have might be worth something. I think you are right about ebay being the best strategy here. I'll leave my craigslist ad up another week and hope for a local buyer (least effort for me), then I will break it up and put it on ebay. that way I can eliminate the junk parts.

I just plugged in my keyboard. It is a Model M and it works perfectly. Or at least it works to the extent that I am typing on it right nowqwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./`1234567890-=/*-789+456+1230.

yeap.
The letters on the keys are not badly worn. i.e. all the characters are visible. The keys make a really sweet ping noise when you press them. I can see why people like these. I need to resist the urge to leave this plugged in to my system... unplugged.

Part no 1391401
ID no 2930281
Date 26SEP88
Made in the USA
two labels that my dad put on there with his name and phone no.
two red dots that he probably put on there for who knows what purpose
(C) IBM Corp 1984

PS/2 cable included
possibly a serial cable also, I will need to check the cable bin

Attachments

• img_6216.jpg
    img_6216.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
  • img_6217.jpg
    img_6217.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1
  • img_6219.jpg
    img_6219.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1
I agree that you can get as much or more for the keyboard alone. People might pay more if they don't have to fear paying shipping for the whole system. The drive(s) might also be worth something, depending what size/type.

Part 'er out!

--T

I just plugged in my keyboard. It is a Model M and it works perfectly. Or at least it works to the extent that I am typing on it right nowqwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./`1234567890-=/*-789+456+1230.

yeap.
The letters on the keys are not badly worn. i.e. all the characters are visible. The keys make a really sweet ping noise when you press them. I can see why people like these. I need to resist the urge to leave this plugged in to my system... unplugged.

Part no 1391401
ID no 2930281
Date 26SEP88
Made in the USA
two labels that my dad put on there with his name and phone no.
two red dots that he probably put on there for who knows what purpose
(C) IBM Corp 1984

PS/2 cable included
possibly a serial cable also, I will need to check the cable bin

That Model M is in decent shape. Most eBay auctions for them start around $20, and the bids tend to rack up during the last few hours... Depending on the day of the week (or month) you could see them get into the 30's easy.

I'm not sure about the printer. That might be of interest to hardcore IBM collectors. Just as Terry mentions, the key is to not scare people away with possible expensive shipping, so dividing and/or parting out is the way to go for sure.

Keep us posted on how things go, and feel free to let us know if all/any pieces go on eBay.

I am not sure what adapter you mean. The cable is included. I am not sure what the connection is... 37-pin. Do you mean that the card in the computer is an adapter that I should list with the external drive?

If I do completely part this out, I may need some help identifying all the components!

I finished disassembly. It was rather fast and painless in comparison to today's computers. I will post a picture of all the parts. You guys have first dibs - just PM me with offers. Assume $5 S&H on all small parts. $6 on the 3.5" FDD and... $8 on the HDD. Ask for quotes on the psu, case, monitor. I'll accept offers until Tuesday and then post the remainder on eBay.

linemanduke: I think I figured out what you were talking about with the 5.25" FDD. I will include the internal cable, adapter, and rear port in the eBay auction. I'll update the picture in a little bit.

PSU - Works
Speaker - Works
Mobo - Bios posts. See previous posts
- 2048 KB RAM
Fan - Works.
FDD - Seeks at startup. Unknown condition.
Modem - Unknown condition
Unknown board - this had the 5.25" FDD adapter attached to it
HDD - Unknown condition. 60MB. I took a pic when this booted. There is a yellow light that goes on. It spins. Small scratches on the top, may have been replaced?
Unknown board - (blue clips, bottom of pic) - I can't remember what plugged into this. I *think*the hard drive.

Attachments

• img_6263.jpg
    img_6263.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1
error codes indicate:

FF 301-Keyboard Error
162-System Options Not Set

probably as simple as replacing the keyboard, replacing the BIOS battery, and reconfiguring it. worst case, your motherboard is bad and can't communicate with the keyboard. you dont even NEED a new BIOS battery, but you'll have to reconfigure it every time you turn it on.

hmm... I could reassemble it real quick and try it with the original keyboard and the track ball mouse. Those error codes posted with a newer keyboard and mouse attached. The original keyboard is about to sell on ebay though, so I will have to do that tomorrow before I ship it and post the results. I still have no boot disks to test it out though, if the HDD won't boot. Hopefully there is a bootable OS still on there... I vaguely remember installing linux on this thing when I was 13.

UPDATE: Errors posted now are 161 and 163. I can guess this means it can't boot from floppy can't boot from hard drive? I wish I had an old dos floppy to try this out with. I don't even have another floppy drive in my house.

Last edited:
cool. I will go to my library and hope their pc's still have floppy drives and then make a boot disk. I am partly just interested in seeing if this thing still works - otherwise i would just list it on ebay whole as-is. I really do need to get rid of it though (moving soon), so the question now is to still part it out if it runs?

If this is the battery that is supposed to be on the board, then it is indeed missing entirely http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_crp2.htm

Last edited:
Back