• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM third party PC XT add on? Cipher 5210XT tape drive

From what I could find, this drive only does DC-600A so I'll be looking for some of those tapes to play around sometime later... there's some on eBay, but as usual: obviously old tapes are also like gold :confused:

Capstan's can be replaced if you can find the part! I have changed the capstans on two 6157s and both work like new now. I've also bought DC600A tapes off of eBay and so far no issues. Of course I am not doing daily backup but it is working well so far! YMMV. ;)

I just wanted to jump on this older thread. I recently acquired a Cipher Floppytape 525, which it appears that Roland started this thread about. It is in an AT&T-branded housing instead of an IBM-branded one, slightly different shape at the front to match the look.

The AT&T model on the back of mine is KS 23356-LI

This was go to with one of my UNIX PCs / 3b1. I also have 2 tape backup controller boards that plug into the back of the UNIX PC, and one mammoth-diameter cable.

But the internal guts are the identical Cipher Floppytape 525 that you guys discuss here on this thread.

I'm so glad someone got one of these to work and posted about it here. Mine errors out when formatting track 2, and I haven't gotten any further than that yet.

Should I get to restoring it in the coming weeks or months, I'll add to this thread about it.

-AJ
http://MightyFrame.com

Last edited:
Perhaps more trivia than relevant. Just about anything made or supplied through Western Electric to the old pre-1983 "Bell System" was marked with a KS number.

DDS, I find the trivial in this vintage tech realm fascinating, so I, for one, appreciate you posting it here. Very cool!

-AJ

My IBM 5160 came with some extra ISA card installed, with something that looked like a floppy port of some sort at the back.
I'll take a picture of it and post it. It may well have been for some kind of tape drive as well, but I didn't get any such drive with my system, just the 'abandoned' card.

I've emailed you the archive, but given Yahoo's strange attachment filtering, I don't know if it'll make it.

You can also get the file here. I'll keep it posted for a week.

Hi Chuck,

i have just found this Forum by searching the web for Infos about Cipher 5210. Great to find some info about this beautiful case. I got this case, brand new, last week without a drive. iIt was a spare case never used before.
First i wanted to install a Tandon TM100-2A Floppy Drive, but now i have seen this nice Option with the Tape Drive.
Do you know if a Cipher 525 will work in that case? Original it fits a 526. I have a option to get a used 525. If it will fit, is it possible that you can share the rare software once again on this page? That would be great! :)

Greetings
Benjamin

Attachments

• 22-10-03 12-49-13 0952.jpg
    22-10-03 12-49-13 0952.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 22-10-03 12-50-02 0954.jpg
    22-10-03 12-50-02 0954.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
I might still be able to find the 525 software around here.
Do be aware that at least for the 525s that I have, the drive connector is 50 pin, not 34.

Thanks for this important Info!! I have checked the pictures of the 525 i could get and indeed the connector is larger. Too bad! I was happy to have found that floppy tape.
I think it will be even harder to find a 526. Maybe i should go with the classic IBM Tandon Floppy Drive.

I have just found a Manual with all electrical and mechanical characteristics of the Cipher 525.
It seems that both Versions (34 PIN & 50 PIN) have the same specifications. The SA450 or SA850 Interface have almost the same Pinout.
The only difference i could find is, that the SA450 have a Motor ON Signal vs. Head Load Signal on the SA850. Both trigger the tape motion. Maybe i can build a adapter from 50pin to 34pin.
What do you think? Could it work?

Attachments

• page5-1.jpg
    page5-1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 5
  • page5-2.jpg
    page5-2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 5
  • page5-3.jpg
    page5-3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Cipher_525.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Oh, I think you can create either a 50-to-34 adapter or cable. I have those for my 8" drives. (You're going to make me drag out my 525, aren't you? :) )

That sounds great, then i will try to get the 525 and create a 50 to 34 pin adapter. I will report the results here.
Thanks for help! :)

I might still be able to find the 525 software around here.
Do be aware that at least for the 525s that I have, the drive connector is 50 pin, not 34.
Have you found the 525 software yet? That would be great, i have build the adapter and now its time for testing. :)

Ran across the disk the other day. I'll see if I can get an image uploaded a bit later today. Old man syndrome--you have to keep reminding me. :)

Back