• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Imasi 8080?

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
I just got done watching wargames, and it the movie mathew brodrick has a computer in his room called and IMSAI 8080, now i know there are IMSAI's, but was there ever a model 8080? It has two 8" floppies on the bottom, and lots of switches and lights on the front, and apparently a modem because he could connect to other computers and stuff.

Last edited:
Well the first (was their ever a 2nd?) IMSAI was indeed the 8080. You might want to watch the movie again. The disk drives were a totally seperate enclosure and were likely sold seperately. The modem was a totally different unit as well, and IIRC was to the left of the monitor and right of the telephone at the very right end of the desk.

--Jack

Well I just had the misfortune to sit through Wargames: The Dead Code ( 2008 )

The plot was awful, the new updated, menacing and paranoid comptuer RIPLEY was not a patch on WOPR. Worse Mr WOPR seems to have gotten an upgrade with what looked like some 5.25" drive upgrades

I waited for a re-appearance of Mr IMSAI 8080 but sadly it did not come.

wopr.jpg

As someone previously posted, yes the Imsai 8080 is a real system. The floppy drive unit is an external box the same size (and much heavier as I recently found out) than the computer. Due to the weight they were sometimes installed in a rack beside the desk,although they could be stacked like the movie or a hobbiest would likely do. The modems then were usually a rubber speaker and microphone that you would put the receiver of your telephone onto and it would interpret the modulation of sound to a byte and make the tones back to talk.

Yeah, old stuff, sorta before my time (by the time I got online we had 2400baud modems which seemed great except on large listings of data) and I never knew anyone that had the receiver type modem. I have one or two for some systems.. was thinking about modding one to work on a cell phone just for shiggles.

I just got done watching wargames, and it the movie mathew brodrick has a computer in his room called and IMSAI 8080, now i know there are IMSAI's, but was there ever a model 8080? It has two 8" floppies on the bottom, and lots of switches and lights on the front, and apparently a modem because he could connect to other computers and stuff.

I just looked at my new 25th aniversary edition DVD of Wargames. Someone on the VCFs said that they had sent a picture of an IMSAI to the producers of the DVD for inclusion on it. However, there was no picture of an IMSAI amongst the supplamental materials.

Sean

As someone previously posted, yes the Imsai 8080 is a real system. The floppy drive unit is an external box the same size (and much heavier as I recently found out) than the computer. Due to the weight they were sometimes installed in a rack beside the desk,although they could be stacked like the movie or a hobbiest would likely do. The modems then were usually a rubber speaker and microphone that you would put the receiver of your telephone onto and it would interpret the modulation of sound to a byte and make the tones back to talk.

Yeah, old stuff, sorta before my time (by the time I got online we had 2400baud modems which seemed great except on large listings of data) and I never knew anyone that had the receiver type modem. I have one or two for some systems.. was thinking about modding one to work on a cell phone just for shiggles.

Hi
My IMSAI 8080 has a disk drive system made by "Digital Systems". It has
two 8 inch drives , that are mounted horizontally. These are in a box that
is the same foot print as the IMSAI. I stack the two, just like in the movie.
Dwight

The narration track has several misstatements by the producer or director. For example, the IMSAI is called a TRS-80, and the 8" floppy diskettes are referred to as "those huge 5-1/4 inch discs". I have an older DVD. They may have made corrections for the latest 25th anniversary release.

Back