• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Install Gotek with 16bit controller in an XT

gleegum

I have this 5160 with a WD1002A-WX1 HD 8 bit controller card and a ST-4096 drive.
I would like to add a gotek drive, but I'm not sure if it's possible to install it with a 16 bit controller card.
I have the cards available in the photos below, they are both HD and FD controllers.
Model are:
a) MIO V2.1
b) WD1006V-MM2

Is it possible to install one of those cards with a gotek together with the WD1002A 8 bit Hd?

I have these ROM's installed:
U18 - 62X6852
U19 - 62X6853

IMG_1698.jpg IMG_1692.jpg IMG_1693.jpg

Thanks

In theory, yes, but you'll have disable the BIOSes on the 16 bit card. 16 bit HD MFM controllers use a different set of I/O ports than 8 bit ones do. If you want to use the high-density facilities of the card, you'll need a BIOS to provide the facilities to the XT. Sounds a little complicated.

But I'll confess to never having tried this.

You should just be able to drop in the "mio" card and use it. Disable the ide function on it (wouldn't work anyway needs 16bit ISA).

Like chuck said if you want HD floppy support you will either need an option ROM or you can load the 2M-XBIOS device driver

Your choice of the card depends largely on what you'd like to do. The WD card uses a WD37C65 FDC, which can also handle FM floppy formats. I would be very surprised if the MIO could do that. On the other hand, the MIO gives you serial and parallel ports in addition to floppy support.

Decisions, decisions....

Thank guys, got the card working, I've used the MIO v2.1.
As you said I don't have HD floppy support, I wasn't looking for this anyway. If I need it I'll check the 2M-XBIOS driver.
thanks!

Back