• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing A/UX on a Mac IIci

dittman

Veteran Member
I'm having problems installing A/UX 3.0.1 on a Mac IIci. The IIci has 128MB of RAM and a scsi2sd for the hard drive with an 8GB SD card partitioned into three 2GB disks and one 1.7GB disk. There are no cards installed other than the cache card. The first time after booting from the installation floppy image (I'm using a Floppy Emu) I got the loading message and then a short time after the error chimes. I then installed Mac OS 7.1 to verify it would work and ran Snooper through several loops without error. I then rebooted again and this time after the "Launching..." message I got the gray screen and nothing. The LEDs on the Floppy Emu and CD drive would flash on a regular cycle like they do when the Mac is checking them for media but nothing else.

The memory, Floppy Emu image, scsi2sd card, and CDROM drive and CD were used the install A/UX on an SE/30 without any issues. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I removed the second bank of RAM and the installation was able to continue past "Launching...". I can't find any mention of a memory limitation for the IIci and A/UX. Does A/UX on a IIci not work with 128MB?

I ran the memory tests in Snooper for two hours without any errors reported. Are those test reliable? If not, what do you recommend?

Perhaps an issue with the cache card? 128 MB was unheard of back then so maybe it didn't get tested.

Perhaps an issue with the cache card? 128 MB was unheard of back then so maybe it didn't get tested.

I can try pulling the cache card. I'll also try installing some 1MB SIMMs in the second bank and see if I have the same issue.

I did try installing a NuBus video card to see if the issue was the built-in video using the RAM but it didn't help. I have a SuperMac Thunder/24 that I used to test.

My NetBSD IIci runs with 128MB of RAM. I can't imagine A/UX wouldn't, but stranger things. Maybe see if 3.1 does better than 3.0.1 (that's what I personally ran on my original IIci, and what I run on my Q800 now).

I can give 3.1 a try.

This evening I tested without the cache card and it still failed. I installed a smaller set of SIMMs in the second bank and it worked.

Back