• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Inboard 386/PC available on eBay

And it will go much higher than that! It will go for well over $500 no doubt. The price on those has gotten crazy.

Wait, that turns an XT computer into a 386 with an 8 bit ISA bus?

Wow, I wonder if it will run Windows NT/2000/XP......

This is even more horrific than my Mountain technology 286 ISA accelerator board (which at least had a cable that went into the 8088 socket)

Wait, that turns an XT computer into a 386 with an 8 bit ISA bus?

Wow, I wonder if it will run Windows NT/2000/XP......

This is even more horrific than my Mountain technology 286 ISA accelerator board (which at least had a cable that went into the 8088 socket)
No to NT or later. The last version of Windows that will run on an Inboard 386 is Win 3.0. Even Win 3.1 can't run on it.

Will run up to Windows 3.11 in a 5160 - that’s proven by a number of forum members fun cards to play with but they are limited. I have one and I’d like a second as a fall back but they are rather pricey and getting rare..

That reminds me: I need to put this Mountain Racecard 286 upgrade up in the for sale section.

Wow! I sold one of those 10 years ago for $325 and thought it was a lot of money.
(of course $325 was a lot more back then than now, but...)

It's an interesting board. Basically it plugs into an XT slot, has a cable that replaces the CPU, and can be either a 6 or 8mhz 286 processor. I don't think there was any supporting software, you turn the cache on and off with a jumper and there's another one for the um.... 80287 clock speed but that's about it. Here's some pics.

dkyylwC.jpg
JKP2rRz.jpg

It's an interesting board. Basically it plugs into an XT slot, has a cable that replaces the CPU, and can be either a 6 or 8mhz 286 processor. I don't think there was any supporting software, you turn the cache on and off with a jumper and there's another one for the um.... 80287 clock speed but that's about it. Here's some pics.

dkyylwC.jpg
JKP2rRz.jpg
Reminiscent of the Orchid Tiny Turbo. Is the rainbow ribbon showing the umbilical to the cpu socket. The Orchid connects at the centre and has a daughterboard with an 8088 socket then the switch on the rear lets you change between the 8088 and 286 also there’s option for a coprocessor. I have one but find it is very delicate if it wants to boot at all at times.. so you end up flipping between the 286 and 8088 once it’s booting you can flip between them. But it’s like the first boot doesn’t want to play nice. I wonder how this performs. I initially put the orchid into my IBM 5155 after a lot of moving of obstructions due to the length of the cable to the 8088 socket. Meaning moving the molex connectors for the floppies to a second connector each. But it was short lived I got annoyed with it not working consistently and the multiple boots to get it stable.

Ended up instead modifying a pcsprint to give it an authentic boost with a NEC v20, gets it to just over 7Mhz which is a nice boost. That and modified the system ram to 1mb on the mainboard. It is a fun machine to upgrade :)

dkyylwC.jpg
JKP2rRz.jpg
Actually I think you have the umbilical in the 287 slot I saw a marking on the board for a 287

Back