• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is it my disks or computer?

Mister_Alex

Experienced Member
I found some copies of a particular Apple II game, but each time the disks either fail to load or produce incomprehensible garbage. Surprisingly, they are able to be catalogued with a Utilities Tool. Is there anyway to tell whether or not its these particular disks that are damaged, or my computer just can't run them for some reason?
Is it possible to 'repair' a disk?

Also, if the disk drive is dirty, it may have trouble reading some disks - try cleaning the head. And if the speed is off, you could have issues reading some disks as well. You can check/calibrate the speed easily using Copy II+.

Do other large programs work correctly on your computer? It's possible to have a bad RAM chip in an upper bank, allowing smaller programs to work but larger ones to crash. This is more common on the II+, due to it's failure prone 4116 RAM. What kind of computer is it?

But it is definitely possible to have a disk that is simply damaged in one way or another and produce the symptoms you describe. the directory track is probably just fine (hence why you can list it), but one of the other tracks containing program data could be damaged. If you still can't read it and other disks work fine, and your drives check out, then it's probably just a bad disk. Fortunately, pretty much every Apple II game is available online, just download it and write out a copy on fresh disks.

-Ian

Another thing that I forgot to mention, but if you have two disk drives, you can swap the drives and see if it works in the other one. That usually rules out disk drive problems quickly, assuming both drives usually function. Still a good idea to clean the head and check the speed if you haven't done so.

-Ian

The disks are commercial. 'Space Eggs' by Sirius Software. I can't play the game but I am positive teeny-tiny bits of the title screen are making it through. Other large games work fine on my IIc.

I'd like to go with a combination of a weak disk and a sloppy drive.
Copy protected disks were often more demanding where the accuracy of the drive is concerned.
Clean heads, adjust speed, rotate and clean pressure pad, check spring tension, clean drive belt, those sorts of things.

I'm a bit confused. If the disks are damaged enough that they can't play, how come Utilities Tools can still catalogue their files?

I'm a bit confused. If the disks are damaged enough that they can't play, how come Utilities Tools can still catalogue their files?

The directory is on track 17. If that track is still good, it'll read and display the list of files, regardless of the condition of the rest of the disk. Imagine a textbook with most of the pages ripped out, leaving the glossary and the index.

-Ian

is this cracked or original? there are a lot of games publisher can play when it comes to disk protection for the II; it would not be difficult for the disk to have a readable track 17 while the rest of the disk remain protected. wasn't space egg one of the single-load title?

If it is an original then maybe not being to read it all is part of the copy protection.

Also certain programs needed integer basic loaded first to play. You can tell if you catalog the disk and see an I as file type in front of the name.

A few programs would not run on IIgs or needed the Disk controller card to work. These are being patched by DataWiz right now. Some may need to be copy protected tab/cover on to play. Some, well one program would kill the disk if you

Back