• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is our hobby starting to decline a bit?

You're evading the question again. The question I asked was whether you think the sheer volume of users and inquiries would swamp out other discussion, and you simply answered in terms of numbers of people in the hobby, without answering the question I posed or even what that means for future impact.

That said, I suspect you'd assert there actually is no impact, so as I said before, I think we've got no common ground here. I'll politely bow out of this thread.

I answered all of the above.

Don't know if it was that time period, but Miami University bought at least some Dell computers with smaller amounts of RDRAM, to the tune of 128Mb per machine. THEN they eventually installed WinXP on those systems (I blame site licensing). God those things were slow.

We were lucky in that one of our class was a Slackware fan, and he eventually talked the faculty into letting us sidegrade to Slackware (9 IIRC). He even hooked up to the university accounts so one could use MU logons to access the machines. You could select which desktop you preferred. He even included the Linux version of ClearType.

Back