• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this IIe Platinum worth repairing?

Progress.
I haven’t been able to get it to play from the audio in and my iPhone but I I can get it to play games from the floppy.

I need to adjust this screen. I know about discharging a CRT - my question… Can I open up this monitor and adjust the display size?

ADCE0E6D-F795-4C21-BEBC-CE0901AD7FE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Why is your video sideways? 🤔

Was someone into it and put the deflection yolk back 90 degrees off? If so, turning it back to the right position may fix your sizing problems too.

Be careful, there are high voltages in there. You don't need to discharge the CRT, just loosen the thing that looks like a hose clamp that holds the deflection yolk fast and rotate it without touching any exposed stuff, then tighten the clamp back down. You don't need to pop your hemorrhoids tightening it, just snug it up. You need to do this with the power on if you want to get it squared up right, so do be careful and sober. Use the one-hand rule when futzing around in high voltage stuff like that. I've shocked myself on deflection coils, so I can opine if you follow the one-hand rule it probably won't kill you, but it hurts like hell and causes muscle spasms. So try not to, lol.

Last edited:
For a moment I thought it was someone taking a photo with a smart phone and browsers/forums that don't support orientation metadata.....

Had to look it up, but it seems this port of pac-man displays everything sideways for some reason.

Hmmmm, the Apple 2 pacman that I had back in the day displayed stuff right-side-up. Weird.

Yeah, I went back and looked at his self-test screen in one of the previous photos and it sure looks like it's oriented correctly.

Last edited:
Lol, yup, Pac-Man probably isn’t the best game to display.

I got my first restoration project back together better than she’s been decades. I’ll tackle the monitor tomorrow.

Attachments

• E1664936-85BF-4D60-BF4E-2A4955EC8A48.jpeg
    E1664936-85BF-4D60-BF4E-2A4955EC8A48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 7B91848F-67D7-4380-958E-BAD087C3DEDF.jpeg
    7B91848F-67D7-4380-958E-BAD087C3DEDF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 9079A46B-45FA-49D0-A059-F98A9B40094E.jpeg
    9079A46B-45FA-49D0-A059-F98A9B40094E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 67FA2586-920B-4E62-A99B-D2C914899C50.jpeg
    67FA2586-920B-4E62-A99B-D2C914899C50.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
And here she is next to her sisters. Just missed out on a duo disk for $65 today.

Attachments

• 18CE5D55-3E62-440B-A9EF-A130760FEE94.jpeg
    18CE5D55-3E62-440B-A9EF-A130760FEE94.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
That jacked up vertical size is kinda strange. It seems like to me that when they're going to vertical-collapse, they just do it all at once rather than going half way. Maybe it's a marginal capacitor, but I thought that vertical collapse was usually not capacitor-related. But if it is, maybe if you leave it on for a while it will reform some and get closer to normal.

If you are sure there isn't a knob in the back to twiddle for it, there is surely an adjustment inside somewhere. I suspect that there's probably a service manual online somewhere.

That jacked up vertical size is kinda strange. It seems like to me that when they're going to vertical-collapse, they just do it all at once rather than going half way. Maybe it's a marginal capacitor, but I thought that vertical collapse was usually not capacitor-related. But if it is, maybe if you leave it on for a while it will reform some and get closer to normal.

If you are sure there isn't a knob in the back to twiddle for it, there is surely an adjustment inside somewhere. I suspect that there's probably a service manual online somewhere.
Yeah there’s a knob but it doesn’t adjust any larger. I’m gonna open it up tomorrow.

Didn’t think about leaving it on. Maybe I’ll sneak back downstairs for a quick game..just one!

Oh I’ve been down the rust rabbit hole a few times. Navel jelly, coke and aluminum foil, molasses, electrolysis….

But Iron free is a new one. Thanks!
I have first-hand experience with it on surface rust and it worked extremely well.

Anybody know how to get this monitor apart!?!? I’m afraid to pull it any farther.

Attachments

• 1991DB34-832C-4F04-A9C0-4DA55F8A193D.jpeg
    1991DB34-832C-4F04-A9C0-4DA55F8A193D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Questions- worth fixing?
No

Can a MB survive a spill?
Now when you say spill do you mean it took a spill,, down some stairs? Off a roof?
The good news is its an inanimate object and was never alive to begin with.. so surviving doesnt apply. Its just as lifeless as the day it was made :unsure:(y)

Power supply is likely a total loss?
Sounds more like a statement then a question. Go with your gut instinct and throw it away.. OR in the direction of someone whom you arent on good terms with. Such as a tax Collector, religious zealot, Tofu salesmen, or people who talk to thier cellular phone like they are holding an ice cream sandwich rather than putting it up to thier ear like an intelligent civilized person with respect and dignity.

Should I even continue for the challenge?
NO

Well I did my good deed for the day. Time to go oil the deck 🧐

No

Now when you say spill do you mean it took a spill,, down some stairs? Off a roof?
The good news is its an inanimate object and was never alive to begin with.. so surviving doesnt apply. Its just as lifeless as the day it was made :unsure:(y)

Sounds more like a statement then a question. Go with your gut instinct and throw it away.. OR in the direction of someone whom you arent on good terms with. Such as a tax Collector, religious zealot, Tofu salesmen, or people who talk to thier cellular phone like they are holding an ice cream sandwich rather than putting it up to thier ear like an intelligent civilized person with respect and dignity.

NO

Well I did my good deed for the day. Time to go oil the deck 🧐
:ROFLMAO:

C'mon man!, I got everything working except for the monitor which I am fixing!

Love your line about the troglodytes who don't understand how phones are supposed to work, though.

I'd say as long as you are making progress, and especially progress with repairing the monitor, then continue to work on it. In the long run you are the only one who can say whether it's worth your time, and possibly money. to try and save the Platinum IIe.

just my II cents worth

The photo looked like the CRT neck broke.

For the benefit of others, I'd be curious to know what went wrong. Was the CRT board snagged around something else while removing the shell? Was there some additional screw that was missed? Was the CRT board glued to the CRT neck?

The photo looked like the CRT neck broke.

For the benefit of others, I'd be curious to know what went wrong. Was the CRT board snagged around something else while removing the shell? Was there some additional screw that was missed? Was the CRT board glued to the CRT neck?

I’m an impatient soul and instead of asking here and other places how to take it apart I kept pulling it apart until I broke it.

You have to push the from the back on the lower backplate. Cost me this monitor and then another $150 for a new one on eBay.

Last edited:
Look around for junk 13' tube TVs, you MIGHT be able to do a tube swap with one. It'll be a pain the ass but it is possible.

I have a spare one, if you're interested... I have yet to restore it, but it does work.

Back