• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Itsa me, Ripdubski

Ripdubski

Experienced Member
Hello all.

I've lurked here on and off for some time. I thought it time to officially join.

I grew up in the 80's back when music was over produced and home computers only needed 8 bits. I have had many Atari computers over the years. I started with an 800 (16K), later upgraded to 48K. I still have it and it still works though one of the player sprites is wonky now. I went through the model range back then and ended my relationship with Atari at the 520ST. I never felt connected with that one like the others.

I had a rather large collection by the mid 90's but sold most of it off in the late 90's. I've re-acquired some of my favorite pieces over the last couple of years. And I've started toying with modern expansions. New toys for old machines!

Of the re-purchased items I have an 800XL and 130XE. Of the 3 (800, 800XL, 130XE), I have to say the 800XL is my favorite. I spent more time with that machine than any other and love the keyboard. The XE is the machine I've been using lately, solely due to memory size. I also have a 520ST again that I restored to pristine condition.

I had friends with CoCo's and Apples so I got to experience those too. Anyway, looking forward to learning about some other systems and sharing anything I might be able to contribute to.

16-bit micros are probably older than you think--there were even game consoles (e.g. Intellivision, 1979) that used 16-bit processors.

Technically, they only need 4 or even 1 bit. I could well imagine a bit-serial device handling the typical early 80s home-computer's workload. The PDP 8/S was bit-serial, for example, as was the NS SC/MP microprocessor.

Last edited:
Hey there. Welcome.
I know nothing about Atari computers.. I think my first experience with a trs-80 was the first model.. I was in awe as I learned to load from cassettes.

I didn't say only had. I said only needed. ;)

Heck, a 1-bit processor would have handled much of the early 80s workload. The PDP 8/S was a bit-serial minicomputer; the National SC/MP micro was another such. Some people call an 8088 a 16-bit micro, but what was the bus size? 8 bits.

Back