• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got a "highly" modded Model I - questions

MikeModifed

Veteran Member
The Model I came with a nice EI (with doubler and two power supplies), two Aerocomp drives (as yet untested), and a nice quietly working 5 Meg HD (only two partiions, for some reason).

The Mod I unit is a 26-1001D with a D motherboard. It works rather flakily (next step is to reseat all the chips) and the keyboard has TERRIBLE bounce (Custom TRS-80, page 99). It does have a lower case mod with descenders.

Visually, the Mod I has a D9 male connector and two slider switches on the right side (pic 1) and tags on some keys for a strange-to-me program (pic 2, not shown, on the right side of the keyboard the "@" is tagged CONTROL and the "->" is marked Tab). In quick testing, I couldn't find any difference in operation with the switches put in any of the four possible combos. There is also a D9 connector mounted in the same position of the left side of the keyboard, but it is non-functional.

yD0vSLJ.jpg

x6tqs22.jpg

Opening the unit up, the D9 has six leads going to the keyboard (pics 3 & 4)

PAWmQ9P.jpg

s4pkAJL.jpg

The Level II ROM set has hand-written labels ??? (pic 5)

X4K5Nzo.jpg

There is an add-on board mounted above the keyboard on the right side (pic 6) with lots of wires going to the slide switches and the motherboard (pic 7)

GrxaoJc.jpg

xaeYff6.jpg

The motherboard itself (pic 8 ) has a small added board and lots of extra wires (pics 9 & 10)

8ODROsq.jpg

VBpNAeE.jpg

9yZf5kJ.jpg

This is the 5th Model I in my collection, but none of the others are anything like this one. Any thoughts/info appreciated.

Mike

Just eyeballing it I'd guess the DB9 connector is for an Atari 2600-style joystick. (Looks to me like they soldered it so it'd actuate the directional arrows and the button is the spacebar.)

The DE9 looks like an Atari joystick port, mapping the joystick directions to the cursor keys and fire to the spacebar.

I'd love to know what's on that white EPROM chip bodged onto the middle of the board. It looks like it's a 2kx8 2716-equivalent; if you PEEK around over the 12k mark (where ROM usually ends in a stock Model I) do you see signs that the ROM is mapped in there? Sometimes people would stick things like faster cassette routines or a keybounce fix onto a ROM and set it up so they could activate the contents by running a SYSTEM command after starting BASIC.

Re: the switches, have you tried stopwatching a FOR loop with them in different positions? Some of that hacking could be a speedup mod. There is a remarkable amount of hacking, though, I must say.

The keyboard stickers look like Scripsit keys to me. (Note: I did not spend more than two seconds thinking about this, and am possibly entirely wrong about it.)

My first thought on the DB-9 connected to the keyboard was for an Atari joystick. Something I'll check when I get it running more smoothly.

All of the wires on the switches are visible, connected to the motherboard or the small add-on board. Both switches in forward position have no wires (normal mb operation?), in the rearward position they connect the add-on board to the motherboard.

Mike

Backside of the little board and the switches:

8Hc2hSV.jpg

Z26 is piggybacked with a 74LS74
Z27 is piggybacked with a 74LS36
Z55 is piggybacked with a 74LS02

Everything that can be reseated has been, so on to reassembly and retesting.

Mike

The EPROM appears to be in Z29's position, suggesting it is a character generator ROM replacement. It's probably a lower case ROM upgrade. Some of the mods around it may be for additional scan lines like the "Don Mod" from Australia supported.

Tom

I got it running nicely, the video no longer jiggly. It has an interesting, almost elegant, semi-sans-serif font:

7QuOflH.jpg

The EI appears to be completely factory original. It has, though, a sticker I haven't seen before:

1Xc8QTJ.jpg

Mike

Never saw a sticker like that. Wonder if it was specific to a computer center? Does the EI have RAM? The 26-1140 was sold with none.

Back