• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 2

Kaypro 2

• Yes, and I love the little luggable.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but they are the worst computer ever made.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lafez

I recently aquired a Kaypro 2. I turned the beast on, expecting to see a prompt telling me to insert a boot disk in drive A, but instead, the screen seemed to not turn on at all. I do indeed know about the brightness knob on the back, and I have twisted it back and forth, while trying various things, but nothing happened. I have also treid pressing a few keys, and the result being noise coming from the speakers (a clicking noise, much like the iPod click). I believe it works just fine, as the drive is spinning away, all lights are on (including caps lock indication light, when pressed) and it is making a happy little humming noise, buttttt the screen doesnt seem to work.

I would really like to get this bad boy running, so if anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks~ Aaron

Tear it down and repair the power supply. This is a very common problem with Kaypros. Check all the solder connections, they have a tendancy to break loose. Sometimes you have to look very close to see the crackage. Pay special attention to the 5v. side, which runs the CRT. Re-solder any that look questionable.

--T

P.S. Ghawd uses a Kaypro.

P.S. Ghawd uses a Kaypro.

haha, thanks for the help. I actually just opened it up, and see that the circuit board that is mounted vertically on the back of the case is rolling around inside. All four of the standoffs have broken... Im hoping this isnt a fatal injury (since it does seem to boot okay). And I am also pretty sure that this board is the power supply.. Im not too sure about the anatomy of this old thing though.

Yes, the power supply mounts to the back of the case, behind the tube, slightly off-center. While you have it apart, use a strong light for close inspection of the solder side. Particular problem areas are the in & output connectors. Also check the heatsinks & connections on all the regulators. Warming up the solder joints will probably be sufficient, but I usually add as much extra solder as the joint will take, to strengthen it and help avoid the problem recurring.

--T

Ooooo I have a possible line on a Kaypro right now but the guy who has it isn't quite ready to give it up yet. I'm not sure what model it is, but I really want a CP/M box. I think Kaypro made both CP/M and DOS systems and some ran both OS's. Can I get someone to give me a rundown of Kaypro models and what OS's each model runs?

animekenji said:
Ooooo I have a possible line on a Kaypro right now but the guy who has it isn't quite ready to give it up yet. I'm not sure what model it is, but I really want a CP/M box. I think Kaypro made both CP/M and DOS systems and some ran both OS's. Can I get someone to give me a rundown of Kaypro models and what OS's each model runs?

This page has some info:

http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html

They barely mention the MSDOS machines, and completely miss the Plus-88 models.

A company called SWP (not SWTP, that's a different company) made 8088 co-processor boards, called Co-Power 88, for several different CP/M machines, including Kaypros. When "IBM-Compatibility" became a necessity to sell computers, Kaypro contracted with SWP for the boards which were installed in some K4 & K2 models, which were then called the Plus-88 models. The board in my K10 is one of the original SWP-badged ones, the boards in the Plus-88 machines are badged as Kaypro, not SWP. Kaypros that are so equipped will run CP/M or MSDOS.

Here's an even better link, that covers most CP/M models:

http://www.yoy.org/kaypro/html/kayprohist.html

--T

I have 2 KayPros. A II and a 2x. Interestingly one also came with some DOS programs and "Uniform". Long time since I fired them up. I acquired some manuals, programs and a boot-disk from Don Maislin, also some tips. I learned that the CPM 2.2 boot-disk was determined by the ROM #
and not all Kaypro CPM boot-disks were equal. The Kaypro was much superior IMHO to the Osborne, but the TRS M-80 M2 wins hands-down for
viewability and functioning, despite it's 8'' floppies. And Scriptsit was likely the best word processor. My CPM of choice tho is my DEC Rainbow. I have a weakness for hybrid machines.

Damn. Is it any wonder why I am having such a hard time placing these beasts on the auctioning block in the name of reducing my collection. But for the most part they are just something to look at and remind myself
that I have to play with them soon, if only to prepare them for selling.
For the most part my computer time is monopolised just with keeping my currently used i-net boxes and occasional new toys functioning.

Noticing the forum title at the top of the page it occurs to me that there should be a forum devoted to luggables since it is clearly a separate topic from handhelds and notebooks. Then I could also rhapsodise about my Phillips with the pop-up floppies, backplane, and useful monitor program, and whether I could add a Plus hardcard to it. And then there is the Compaq red plasma display lunchbox and lesser beasts.

Come to think of it there should be a forum on the MCA boxes and OS-2.
Can't remember this topic having been raised in the IBM and Clones forum but this is definitely something that fueled a very busy usenet group and gave birth to the MCA Mafia.

Guess I just transgressed the off-topic rules about 6 times in this rambling but then all things are related. Sorry.
BTW did I mention my ex-wives ?

Lawrence

There is more than one flavor of Uniform, one for CP/M, and another that runs under DOS, called Uniform PC. You might have one of the Plus 88 boxes. Have you peeked inside yet? The Co-Power board mounts to the top of the drive cage, and attaches to the 40-pin connector on the mainboard with a ribbon cable.

--T

Terry Yager said:
There is more than one flavor of Uniform, one for CP/M, and another that runs under DOS, called Uniform PC. You might have one of the Plus 88 boxes. Have you peeked inside yet? The Co-Power board mounts to the top of the drive cage, and attaches to the 40-pin connector on the mainboard with a ribbon cable.

--T

It's been a long time since I acquired that particular Kaypro and I can't even remember which one it was nor how I was able to check the contents of the disks. It could be it had a feature that I didn't discover at the time. Unfortunately it is way down on my to-do list. Well behind finding a hillarious 8-bit Atari(or C-64?) homebrew disk which animated some stills of a fellatio session. Or another demo of Michel Jarre, Jan Hammer, and another guy big on the demo scene showing what they could do with music and graphics on the 8-bit scene. And a bunch of other stuff that cemented my addiction to collecting computers. As well as biting the bullet and putting these old guys back together again for auction.

AND getting past my procrastination.

I don't have cable, only 2 regular TV channels up here, have no job and still find myself with too many things to do. I quit classic.cmp because it took up too much time. Maybe it's old age. When you do have the time to indulge yourself in the things you figured you could do in your dotage, you don't have the energy to do them. Bummer.

Lawrence

Back