• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Laserdiscs

atari2600a

Veteran Member
Look at what I just got off eBay:
0d_1.JPG

Does anyone else here have some good LD's?

OMG! Complete 1337-ness *bows*
I wanted a LD player, but then I saw how much they were on eBay...:shocked:
How big are they? The size of the average LP?
MP and the Holy Grail has one of the best ditties ever: Bravely Bold Sir Robin

An LD is about the size of an LP (Vinyl album), & the players are usually 3" tall, & 15" wide. The older ones (like the one used in the "Dragon's Lair" & "Space Age" arcade machines) are smaller & the LD's are about 7" if I remember correctly (might be wrong)... (If you see a disc labeled "DiscoVison", buy it, it will gain alot of value within 10 years :p)

Flea markets & thrift stores are great places to find players & discs. (I bought my player for $5, but the seller didn't know if it worked. Upon examining it in the car, the serial number was scratched off, probably meaning it was stolen...)

I know, MP&THG = Super-1337N355!!!

Once it arrives (bought if off eBay), I'll make a GIF animation of it's pWn4g3n355!!!

EDIT: Didn't they eat Bravely Bold Sir Robin half way through the film? Ni!

Last edited:
Nah, they ate his minstrels.

"We are no longer the Knights who say Ni, we are the Knights who say: Ecky, Ecky, Ecky, Ecky, Ptang, Zoo Boing! Goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv."

"yay...."

Anyways, I also have RoboCop & Total Recall on Laserdisc...

Random thought of the day: I wonder if there where any copies of "Eraser" manufactured w/o that crappy adhesive that caused the laser-rot...

Yeah, some laserdiscs where manufactured with a poor adhesive that caused a chemical reaction, making the laserdisc non-reflective & thereby destroying the disc.

OMG! Complete 1337-ness *bows*
I wanted a LD player, but then I saw how much they were on eBay...:shocked:
How big are they? The size of the average LP?
MP and the Holy Grail has one of the best ditties ever: Bravely Bold Sir Robin

My mate just down the road from you had a player not so long ago, and a copy of "Alien" which we used to use as a test disk for Karaoke machines. I'll ask him if he's still got it.

I have a Laserdisc player by "default" as a collector in the guise of the Pioneer LaserActive, which not only plays laserdiscs, but through the use of pop-in modules plays Sega Genesis/Megadrive/CD games and Turbo-Grafx/Duo/PC Engine stuff. There was also a karoake module. Right now I only have the Sega module. There are a decent selection of games that require the specific Sega or NEC modules and come on laserdisc. Essentially it overlays standard Sega or NEC graphics over laserdisc video, similar to some of the original laserdisc arcade games.

Anyway, I had wanted a laserdisc player anyway if I could find one cheap so I could have an unaltered and high quality version of the original Star Wars trilogy, but since that's now coming to DVD there is little reason to have one for its movie playing abilities in my opinion (mine did come with some movies, though). Again, though, as a computer and videogame collector, it's good to have a LaserActive just for the games that are unique to the system. Of course it's going to be tough finding that NEC module for anything resembling a reasonable price...

W0w, t3h 13374g3 .g1f is giving me epilepsy. Please, make it stop!

In terms of quality, are laserdiscs inbetween video cassettes and DVD's?

All this talk about Laserdisc technology reminds me of another old videodisc standard: CED.

Anybody else here remember/collect CED players or movies?

P.S.: I run into LD players all the time at work. not so much the discs themselves!

Back