• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Living Computer Museum T-shirt sighting - film at 11

Uniballer

Experienced Member
I was buying gas today at a nearby "wholesale club" ($3.439 today - cheap for my area) when I saw a guy in a red "Living Computer Museum" T-shirt. I asked him where it was, and he said, "Washington. <long pause> Seattle." I said, "Oh, is that Paul Allen's collection?" He didn't know who that was. I said that he was one of the founders of Microsoft, and he still had a DECsystem-10 running the last I knew. I asked him about the collection, and he raved about the "Atari" and "IBM 360/370". I would be more interested in what is promoted on the museum's website, which touts their PDP-7, 8/e and KL10. I'm sure he simply lost track of the stuff made by companies whose names he didn't already know. Oh well, at least he got the city right. And he must have enjoyed it enough to wear the T-shirt in public.

I wouldn't mind spending a day there, but it is over 2500 miles from my house...

A visit to the LCM if you are in the area is totally worth it. The fact that almost the entire collection is running and available for the public to use is unlike any other museum I have ever seen.

It is truly a wonder, I agree with NeXT, if you can, and are in the area, make it a point to visit. They have a wondrous collection, with what i'm assuming, are enough parts to keep things running for the long near future.

They acquired my 5150 from me before they opened up, so if they have a 5150 with single sided drives and a plus 20 hard card, you now know where it came from :)

Back