• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

looking for a Socket-8 to Slot-1 converter / Riser card --> ASUS C-P6S1

Hyla

I'm new here and from Germany (BTW -> sorry for my bad English) and I hope someone can help me.

I need a Socket-8 to Slot-1 converter or riser card, especially the ASUS C-P6S1.
I own some Tyan M2020 riser cards, but my project doesn't work with the Tyan cards, so I need the ASUS P6S1.

If someone has such a card, so please reply to me.

I want to build an exotic and rare computer system with these riser cards.

Here are 2 pictures of the system with the Tyan M2020 cards:

CPU: 1x Intel Pentium II OverDrive 333 MHz @ 416 MHz on Tyan M2020 Riser Card (later 2x PIIOD on ASUS C-P6S1 I hope)
Board: ASUS P2B-D
RAM: 1GB SD-RAM PC100
Videocard: 3DFx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
Add on: 2x 3DFx Voodoo 2 12MB (SLI)
Sound: CT Vibra 16 ISA
HDD: 2x 40 GB on Promise Ultra 100 IDE controller
System: Win98 SE + Win2000

I want to build a dual system, but the Tyan M2020 doesn't work in dual mode, only single CPU is supported. I know the ASUS C-P6S1 will work. I already have one and need a second ASUS C-P6S1.

Cheers

Markus

The Voodoo 2 is redundant so long as the Voodoo 5 is installed, isn't it?
Also, why are you holding yourself back with old 200mhz PPros?

The Voodoo 2 is redundant so long as the Voodoo 5 is installed, isn't it?
Also, why are you holding yourself back with old 200mhz PPros?

Same question that I asked in his "wanted" section post. You can make the P2B-D run with Socket 370 Slockets with some very minor alterations to the Slockets. Take a step forward instead of backward.

FIRST: I'm a big PENTIUM PRO fanatic freak ;)

I dont want newer Socket 370 CPUs in a Slot 1 Board - this isn't exotic enough and not rare (over here) ;)
In Europe the Intel Pentium II OverDrive is very rare and those riser cards are rare too.

The riser cards were built to use the Pentium Pro CPU (Socket 8 ) on early Pentium II Slot 1 motherboards (only with EDO ram and without AGP- slot)

The Pentium II OverDrive was built to upgrade old Pentium Pro Systems.

I want to combine the Pentium II Overdrive and the riser cards on a "modern" dual slot 1 motherboard with 440BX/GX chipset with AGP-Slot and SD-RAM. I think something is rare and crazy, because all the parts were not designed for using in one system

I own also many Pentium Pros (incl black 1MB models), but they don't work on a BX/GX Board. Only a few FX/LX Slot 1 Boards support the PPro with the help of the Socket-8 to Slot-1 converter like the ASUS P2L97 but only with the oldest BIOS version 1.02

No problem with the Voodoo2 and Voodoo5 - I own some old games, which requires the V2 - I have different system partitions installed. so one with deactivated V2 ;)

So again. I NEED A ASUS C-P6S1 RISER CARD ;)
and I know, that in the US are more cards available as in Europe ;) that's why I asked here in this and other US Forums

FIRST: I'm a big PENTIUM PRO fanatic freak ;)

You must be--seeing as how the PII is essentially a repackaged PPro!

I want to combine the Pentium II Overdrive and the riser cards on a "modern" dual slot 1 motherboard with 440BX/GX chipset with AGP-Slot and SD-RAM. I think something is rare and crazy, because all the parts were not designed for using in one system

Good luck with that, but I suspect you may well have BIOS issues with that setup.

The Slot-1-to-Socket-8 slockets were never a common item here in the USA, probably because there was little justification in not using plain old PII CPUs in Slot 1 configurations. Good luck in finding one. You may want to drop someone like Code Micro an inquiry, but be prepared to pay with your firstborn.

I think the system will work and I will not get problems with the BIOS.

At the moment the system works with one Pentium II OverDrive 333MHz overclocked to 416MHz.

The CPU was correctly recognized by the BIOS! Nearly all BX Boards have the PIIOD Microcode integrated. Why? hm..maybe for freaks like my ....hehe

But I want to build a dual CPU system ;)

Last edited:
I have a dual socket 8 motherboard. ;)

Would you like to buy it? :D

It's from a proprietary IBM case, though, so don't expect it to neatly line up with an ATX or AT case.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get something like an Intel PR440FX board (ATX) for dual PPro overdrives? That board can take up to 1GB of EDO ECC buffered RAM (which used to be dirt cheap from Compaq servers). I have a setup like that and it works nicely.

I already own a Intel PR440FX dual socket 8 motherboard with 1GB EDO-RAM --> this is nothing special for me. This board is made for two Pentium Pros and later for two Pentium II OverDrives, has no SD-RAM and no AGP slot

In the other thread someone wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Thrashbarg View Post
It looks like he's trying for something a bit more out-of-the-norm. (Which I think is actually an interesting project, despite its performance drawbacks.)

That's it.

I want to put two Pentium II OverDrives on a "modern" slot 1 board with the help of the riser cards, which has the great BX chipset, SD-RAM and AGP ;)

You've probably already thought of this, and I'm not sure if the board(s) would support that kind of thing, but it might be worth giving a thought to Pentium III boards with Slot 1. As I said, they might not support these kinds of chips, but if they did you might find far newer functions and RAM capacity, etc.

Back