• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mac 2ci issue

well im just solving all my problems tonight
got an os on it but i need the ability to read pc disks (i know it exist ) this doesnt have the problem and is my only working mac but it has ethernet how i fix that to work? does the card need drivers. and isnt it supposed to be color?

Go into the control panel and find the monitor icon, you can set color depth and resolution (if available) there.

Ethernet cards (other then mac clones) need drivers. Once you get the driver you need to install Open transport (found on apples site) to be able to use DHCP. There will be a control panel for networking once the drivers are installed and you need to switch it from the built in serial port (which is default) to the ethernet card, and also direct TCP/IP to ethernet and then you can get networking going to other machines.

Without a working battery all settings for networking are lost when power gets disconnected.

If you have a seperate nubus video card you will probably have options (once drivers are installed) for more color depth and resolution. The IIci has built in video that only does 640x480 max on a SOG (sync on green) monitor. I forget the color depth but its probably 256 colors.

Find a set of OS disks.

You can download them from Apple for free, but will need someone to create them for you.

Those IIci power supplies had a small foil cap (not an electrolytic) on an area of the upside down circuit board that turns dark... that cap likes to fail after years of service.

If the power supply gets to where it doesn't want to turn on then you'll have to replace that cap. I forget the position # of the board, it's been years since I've serviced one.

Best OS for a stock IIci is 7.1 which is not free, you can get the floppy images for OS 7.01 from Apples website.

its a tad more than stock it has upgraded radius video card, cache card, 25 meg of ram, and an ethernet card. also i need the pc read utility

I had heard that the IIci could use the Radius Full-Page Display Monitor natively. I have one and why I haven't tried it is questionable. Blame it on an extensive to-do list and slothfullness. I looked for a radius card for it many years. Do you know what the card supports ? Is there any documentation on or off disk ? Do you have the Radius software and the MAC drivers ?

Radius made a lot of neat monitors. On some you could use it in either Portrait or Landscape mode. At one time I would have traded 2 Macs for that card.

Apple had the 7.5 upgrade on it's site. Can't recall whether that was 7.5.3. I was under the impresson that the next step up was OS 8 which was not free. OS8 had a lot of problems and 8.1 was the OS to aim for on most older Macs.

I likely have the OS 5. upgrade here somewhere. ISTR it was comprised of something like 20 disks. At the time wth the speed of modems, that was a major undertaking. There are a couple of programs available to transfer the downloaded disks from a PC to a Mac. I can't remember the names, but they should be available and findable with Google.

Lawrence

Back