• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac OS 6 and 7

I suggest Apple release System 7.6.0 before 8.0, since they have an update to 7.6.1 (as well as 8.1) on the web page. I suppose the update to 7.5.5 works on a "free" 7.5.3 system though.

It is soon four years ago 7.5.3 was uploaded. I doubt MacOS 8.0 will ever be freely downloadable, due to the computers it would be meaningful to run it on have ended up as landfill many years ago.

Isn't MacOS X basically a BSD core and the Aqua framework/GUI? The day the world finally determines that UN*X compatible operating systems so belong to the 1960's (a bit exaggeration) and the new systems are something completely else, maybe the last OSX would be free. As long as the current version is based on an earlier one, they'd not give it away for several reasons.

thanks for the link!

i would like to have 6 for sure.

sounds like with those updates i might be able to get a full copy of 7.1 as well.

6 is super fast to boot up, but i prefer 7.1.

it gives you a lot more things you can do yet doesn't take long to boot up on old mac's, like 7.5 and above do.

chris

are these downloads compresed or are they disk images, i've downloaded system 7 before but windows says they are .bin files and the website says you need to use stuffit expander on a mac to turn them into disk images. too much work for me!

Windows cannot do anything with Mac OS files. Funny how Mac OS disk files are ,,, Mac only files..... I guess it depends on how much you want to have OS 6 and 7. Or Need them. Its not really that hard, Stuff it is just like WinZip for a Macintosh. I guess it all depends on how much of a Mac enthusiast or collector you are.

-Vlad

carlsson said:
Isn't MacOS X basically a BSD core and the Aqua framework/GUI? .

In a nutshell, yes. Mac OS X is a Unix core with Darwin and the Aqua Framework. Whats with every one typing Unix as Un*x or *nix or some variant thereof? Why not just call it what it is? Unix. Its 4 letters, it not like it that hard to type, like the full spelling to IBM. (International Business Machines for those of you who didn't know what IBM stands for) I'm not ranting for even blaming you Carlsson, I've seen this all over. Whats up with it?

-Vlad

UN*X is a humorous way to spell it, because not two Unix systems were alike or compatible. *NIX would be an even looser definition that in my view includes Linux, Minix and other Unix mimicing operating systems.

I wonder, would not a X86 Linux PC be able to mount Macintosh partitions R/W so at least the images could be dumped onto the hard disk, and then boot from a genuine floppy if you have one? Otherwise, you need a functional Mac in order to bring another Mac into operation. I guess it is similar to other systems. Maybe a Catweasel can be programmed to make a PC floppy R/W native Mac disks?

I've currently got a freind of mine trying to unstuff the images but he has run into trouble. seems that the older versions of stuffit aren't very good.

Back