• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MacSE system choices

~llama

im making a new boot disk for my Macintosh SE FDHD, and im at a dilemma: should I make a new disk with System 6.0.8 (my favorite) on it, and not have as much room for applications, or should i try to find an older version of the system that will take up less room?

does anyone else here have much experience with floppy-driven macs?

I usually look for operating systems that are contemporaries of the machines they are installed on. I'll put PC-DOS 1.0 or 2.0 on a PC or XT, I'll toss MITS BASIC or MITS DOS on an Altair (as opposed to CP/M) and I'd put MAC OS versions appropriate to the Mac in question. That's just me, though.

6.x seems about right for a MAC SE. It might be a little too new (I think that came with our Mac IIcx, for instance) but it's appropriate for some of the SEs that were sold.

Erik

probably a good call... i didnt think about historical accuracy when i was considering OS versions :D

I'm probably going to go with 6.0.8, since its the last version of System 6 and it has some bugfixes in the Multifinder :mrgreen: remember MultiFinder? 8)

I am running OS 7.0 on my SE, and OS 7.1 on my SE30.

Both work like a charm.

Actually my SE30 is my computer of choice for telnetting around.

Fast to boot up and does not take up much space in my dining room ')

Chris

Mine is an SE FDHD... so while it has the bigger 1.44mb floppy drive, it only has one of them, which is a pain. I often wish I had a normal SE with two 800k drives...

then again, there aren't that many SE FDHD's as compared to SE's and SE/30's so I'm kinda glad I have one.

I do not know about you, but because these Macs are so small, I just love them.

I always wanted one when they were being sold retail, but I couldn't afford one.

In today's world this is different.

I got one for free from work, and picked up another for $5.00 Canadian at a Valu Village.

I also managed to get a ridiculous amount of Mac stuff from our headquarters downtown.
I had to go there one day (a few years ago), and while I was there soemone told me; "Chris you better get your ass down to the computer room, because they are throwing a bunch of stuff out". The person knew I was into old computers, and I promptly went to the computer room. What I saw was horrifying.

There were two large metal mesh bins (the ones that forklifts can pick up), and there were people just throwing old computers and monitors into these bins. The sound and sights were not nice.

It was like some weird game show with me grabbing as much stuff as I could before the guys took the bins away. I think I had only about five minutes.

I ended up getting a huge amount of modems, an external cd ROM for Macs, a few printers, and the jewel in the crown... Hundreds upon hundreds of floppies and some complete software packages (maunuals and all). I still have not itemized all the floppies, but I know I am sitting on a nice pile of Mac goodies.

Chris

ooOOoo i wish i had the luck to hit a motherlode of computer stuff like that... i just have some PS/2's ive rescued from an attic and some macs I got from the tech department at my school. I'm working on getting some more PS/2's though, i might have a Model 95 come my way in the near future :D

I really need to do a proper inventory of my stuff. I am sure I have much duplication, and I could therefore trade some of it away to others who woud use my duplicates.

Was there a long line of different PS2's?

I brought home an orphaned PS2 77s that my neighbour across the street was putting in the garbage. The stats (upon bootup) says the comp is a 486DX2 66, with 64 megs, which I find pretty amazing for someone to throw out. Would this specific PS2 have this, or was the computer upgraded (in terms of RAM)?

I have this computer running OS/2 version 3, (picked up at a thrift store for $5.00 Canadian never been used).

Chris

there were severael models... im currently searching for a link to a list of all the models in the series.

There was also a PS/1 but it was weird.

My friend has a PS/1.

It had only 2 megs RAM if I remember, and we had to install a very mellow version of Windows 3.1 on it, since he wanted to use 3.1

I think I recall that I could not give him any of my video cards etc.. since the PS/1 used a different BUS than the normal ISA.

It also cost a fortune at the time compared to a generic PC

Chris

p.s. I wonder if he still has it?

vic user said:
I think I recall that I could not give him any of my video cards etc.. since the PS/1 used a different BUS than the normal ISA.

MCA? I think that's what the PS systems brought in.

MCA was IBM's alternative to EISA, as everyone by then realized the 16-bit ISA was, how do you say it - "long in the tooth". They are not electrically or I would assume operationally compatible at all.

MCA later appeared in IBM RS/6000 (UNIX) systems, although by then they were powered by Motorola PPC601 and upwards instead of X86. This is a little offtopic in a 68K thread, but anyway.. :)

(I used to manage a few RS/6000 model 250, which could run nothing else than AIX as MkLinux did not support the MCA bus and PS/2 Linux did not support PPC processors - tough call)

Back