• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mail server MX records?

wolfie

Experienced Member
how do i make a MX record. is it a file that is put in my web servers main directory or something. i'm using a free address from dyndns.org.

The MX record of any given domain is handled by whatever nameservers are assigned to the domain. They are one of a few different type of DNS records that get attached to the said domain.

So in order for you to "make and MX" record on your domain you need to find out who handles the DNS records for your domain, and either go in and add the MX record or have them do it.

I use Tera-Byte.com to handle my domain registration, and I use Zone-Edit to handle the DNS side of things. They both give me full control over my domains.

Hope that helps.

i have been doing a lot of looking through the option and have not been finding too much. maybe it is because i'm using a free account.
untitled.JPG

I assume that you've got a regular email account somewhere. According to the DynDNS help files, you should assign that email as the "backup" mailserver; apparently, DynDNS will assign your domain (486.ath.cx) as the primary.

You can check to see if this was done by using an MX lookup tool such as:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

Not having used DynDNS, but having set up my own MX records that's all I can offer.

thanks for the response. i think i might have got it working now. i tried entering in my other address as the MX hostname and it now shows that i have a mx record at mx toolbox. for some reason before when i clicked "save changes" it would not save even though it said that it has.
test.JPG

Back