• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MicroExpress Lunchbox computers

Retroplayer

Experienced Member
So, I picked up a couple of luggables today in need of some serious love.

As far as I can tell, they are:
MicroExpress LCD-88
MicroExpress LCD-386

The LCD-88 has a 286 10Mhz motherboard in it which must have been an upgrade? I cannot find much information at all about these computers, but based on another post in this forum, it is supposed to actually be an 8088.

Anyway, this one is running pretty well and is in fairly decent shape. I am missing the bezel for the drives (it was missing the floppy and HDD as well) Thankfully the LCD-286 came with one so I can make a 3D printed copy. The BIOS on this is absolutely terrible, though. There is no ability to create user specified disk. I installed my XT-IDE card and that took care of that, though.

It has SIMM sockets which are machine pin headers. There are several sticks of RAM installed there, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to the BIOS or the POST test. This is my first 286, but my understanding is that it should be able to address up to 16MB? Is there something more that I would need to do?

I plan to dig around to see if I can find a better BIOS for this computer. It is currently an Award 286 Modular BIOS 3.03GS

Not too much more to say about this one. Needs some pretty minor work, but overall in good condition.

The second luggable, the LCD-386 has a 386SX motherboard. The screen originally looked cracked, but now that I have been able to inspect it further, it is vinegar syndrome. The "scratch" is actually the polarizer buckling from the outgassing. The LCD just displays garbage, but I think that is caused by other issues. The battery leaked inside. It damaged the motherboard around the battery. I think it is limited to the CMOS battery circuit (just a couple diodes and a resistor.) I think I will be able to repair that.

These are the only two major issues I am aware of yet since I cannot boot it up yet. I am thinking about swapping the good parts all into the LCD-88 chassis (they are both identical except for the badge on the front.) If I have to give up on the LCD, I will probably install an 11.6 wide screen color VGA LCD. That should fill up the original 640x200 bezel almost entirely. I also have a 486 single board ISA motherboard that I may work into the case.

The LCDs are a blue monochrome, but the backlight is absolutely terrible. It uses an EL panel for the backlight which is far too dim and tends to make the text look very fuzzy. So I don't feel especially motivated to repair it.

Anyway, I am writing here to hopefully connect with others that might have or have experience with these systems. Hoping that perhaps someone can help inform me about the RAM situation with 286, and looking for any further information on these computers. Maybe manuals for the motherboards? Any alternate BIOS out there that have found to be working? Is there a reference disk or other setup disks that I am supposed to have with these computers?

If people are interested, I will post pictures of the systems. I am pretty sure at this point that I will be using the one with the 486 SBC. If I can repair the 386 motherboard, that may go in the LCD-88.

There were several vendors in the 80s taking commodity Taiwanese lunchbox cases and outfitting them with various configurations. I wonder if your Micro Express things are some of those.

There were several vendors in the 80s taking commodity Taiwanese lunchbox cases and outfitting them with various configurations. I wonder if your Micro Express things are some of those.
Yes. It is exactly like several other models that apparently used this generic luggable case. Both look just like these. The badge is the only difference on the outside.
I am not actually 100% sure it is a Microexpress. I had not noticed that there were several brands before posting this. It was just the dominant one to come up on a google search.

Last edited:
Found a possible solution to my memory issue. It appears that a special EMS driver is needed. Per this thread:

Trying out a couple of different BIOS sets today (also found in the above thread) to see if I can find one that will allow me to enter a user hard disk.

Back