• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft Lan Manager Client

ngtwolf

Veteran Member
So, I'm trying to get my IBM PS/1 running on Dos 6.22 to connect to my NAS (samba) via mapping since it stores all my retro software/etc that will never fit locally. I've done all the appropriate smb.conf settings (lanman auth/ntlmv2/etc) on the NAS but still have had no luck with the mapping piece. i'm using the Microsoft Networking Client and figured I'd give the Microsoft Lan Manager client (2.1/2.2?) a try instead since I know it has some options that reportedly might help, but I can't seem to find this software anywhere. The links to the microsoft ftp site are bad and the few places that reportedly have it online don't seem to work (super old). I don't know if this is publically available software, so if it isn't, then understood and i'll continue my search on my own.

As an addendum I realize i can use ftp and circumvent my issues, but i really would prefer doing share mapping.

I never had much luck with the LANMAN client only; the full LANMAN worked fine, however, so you may be better off avoiding just the client software.

I seem to recall Lan Manager clients being included on the Windows NT 4 and/or Windows NT 3.51 CD-ROM.

Was the client ever a standalone commercial product? I do recall they had it downloadable, but as mentioned their downloads are long gone.

I seem to recall (and my recollection is notoriously unreliable) that you had to grab bits from the full MSLANMAN package to get LAN Manager client working.

At any rate, the installation disks for both MSLANMAN and the client can be found here

So not gone.

I seem to recall Lan Manager clients being included on the Windows NT 4 and/or Windows NT 3.51 CD-ROM.

Was the client ever a standalone commercial product? I do recall they had it downloadable, but as mentioned their downloads are long gone.

Depends on how one defines commercial product. Back in 1988, the client was a separate OEM offering.

So, I'm trying to get my IBM PS/1 running on Dos 6.22 to connect to my NAS (samba) via mapping since it stores all my retro software/etc that will never fit locally.

What is the OS on your NAS? There are some pretty major flaws in the older versions of SMB, so a lot of newer implementations of it disallow SMB v1, which would probably mean your connection attempt from the Lanman client is being rejected.

I seem to recall (and my recollection is notoriously unreliable) that you had to grab bits from the full MSLANMAN package to get LAN Manager client working.

At any rate, the installation disks for both MSLANMAN and the client can be found here

So not gone.

Great, thanks so much. Your google searching is clearly better than mine. :)

What is the OS on your NAS? There are some pretty major flaws in the older versions of SMB, so a lot of newer implementations of it disallow SMB v1, which would probably mean your connection attempt from the Lanman client is being rejected.

The NAS is a QNAP NAS with Samba 4.4.16. I have the Min client set to Lanman1 and my max client set to SMB 2_10. If it is disallowed somewhere else, then i'm not sure.

Last edited:
The NAS is a QNAP NAS with Samba 4.4.16. I have the Min client set to Lanman1 and my max client set to SMB 2_10. If it is disallowed somewhere else, then i'm not sure.

Got this all working. While my NAS has an entire user account system that works fine with modern stuff, when DOS would try to authenticate it would get an error 'invalid password'. In the end, I needed to just create a local account in Samba using smbpasswd that matched the real username and password on the nas. Likely to do with the way the passwords are stored or encrypted on the system, not really clear, but it works so that's all that matters. Probably introducing some security risk into the mix but it's a home nas that i use primarily as a central mirrored file repository so not really a concern.

Now i'm able to map my retro PC software folder which works around the limitations of its local storage.

Back